Emily Flynn's Reviews > The Blue Cotton Gown: A Midwife's Memoir

The Blue Cotton Gown by Patricia Harman

Jul 23, 2009

bookshelves: currently-reading

I'm currently in training to become a birth doula and I picked up this book amongst the other dozen or so necessary for certification. So far, so good. It's an easy read, nothing spectacular, but I'm really enjoying reading it.

A had a teacher in high school who told us about this theory of reading called "your poem", which basically is interpreting what you're reading based on your current life events. So like when you read Catcher in the Rye when you're 12, you bring something totally different to it than when you pick it up again a few years later during your college freshman lit class.

In the case of this book, even beyond the fact that this flower child converted to midwifery in her mid-twenties, the details her life in a commune and her relationship with her likewise hippie-lite husband are hitting close to home for me. I'm a doula in training, running off to Washington State with an equally free-spirit type boy, and about to live in a converted chicken coup with a communal vegetable garden and a resident poet named Gabe!

When Patsy flashes back to her life as a braless pacifist who married her husband in a tent amongst a field of daisies, I just have to wonder: Is this me in five years or what?
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Blue Cotton Gown.

06/27 marked as: currently-reading