Betsy's Reviews > 100 Cupboards

100 Cupboards by N.D. Wilson

Sep 19, 2007

bookshelves: reviewed-professionally

Mmm. Delicious. A good fantasy with enough original elements to keep it interesting. "Leepike Ridge" is better, no question, but I dare say this book stands apart from the normal fantasy-laden pack. See for yourself...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 100 Cupboards.

Started Reading
September 1, 2007 – Finished Reading
September 19, 2007 – Shelved
March 16, 2008 – Shelved as: reviewed-professionally

message 1: by Laura (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:38PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Laura Went to the Random House preview yesterday and they talked about this one. They compared it to Diane Wynne Jones. Sounds SO cool. Looking forward to your review!

message 2: by Monica (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:40PM) (new)

Monica Edinger Can I borrow this from you as soon as you are done? I'm very eager to see it too given my feelings about Leapike Ridge. Perhaps we can meet up in the nab this weekend and we can work out a trade?

message 3: by Betsy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:40PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Betsy I have two copies of it at the moment, actually. You want one, it is yours. I work this week-end but I'm around other days. You don't happen to be going to the Perry Moore book release party tomorrow, do you? I could give it to you then. We'll figure something out, in any case.

message 4: by Monica (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:41PM) (new)

Monica Edinger Sadly, I couldn't as we have parent Open House. How about Sunday?

message 5: by Betsy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:41PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Betsy I don't think I have anything planned for Sunday. I'll double check with Matt, though. Shall we do lunch?

Roxanne Hsu Feldman It has a 2007 copyright date but it came out on December 27th... and they only submitted it for Notables now. Grrr... Do you think it is Notable worthy? Also -- I am curious as to why this is not as good as Leepike Ridge. You know I really liked that one, too, and thought that this seems more original. Maybe because I am more a fantasy reader?

message 7: by Monica (new)

Monica Edinger I liked this very much (a very Americana fantasy:), but it did feel as if there was a lot of setting-the-stage (almost literally) for future books. That gave it a sort of leisurely feel (at least for me) for a good 2/3s or so and then it just went wild fantasy-wise!

Betsy Oh no. No, it's 2007. I love the guy but this was definitely a last year publication date. Thinking about it, I liked it very much and found it a nice combination of middle-Americana and fantasy. For one thing, it doesn't make fun of small town folks, which I always hate in these books. And yeah, there was a lot of stage setting, but I felt it wrapped up its own plot nicely. There wasn't an ending where the hero crawls through a doorway and the words TO BE CONTINUED appear on the page.

Roxanne Hsu Feldman I wasn't quite sure whether the baseball stuff is all that fitting but I liked it and thought that maybe, if there are further volumes, the baseball theme can become very prominent or important. Remember Summerland? The book that wanted to incorporate Americana and Baseball into a fantasy novel for children and failed?

message 10: by Monica (new)

Monica Edinger Totally thought of Summerland as a contrast to this one.