Suz's Reviews > Niedermayer & Hart

Niedermayer & Hart by M.J. Johnson

bookshelves: arc-books, reviewed-books

An ARC was provided in exchange for an honest review. This did not influence my thoughts in any way.

Niedermayer & Hart is, more than anything else, a horror story. It is also a story about hope and the sheer power of friendship. The novel starts out as two different stories. The main is the story of Jim Latimer, a photographer hired by the porcelain company Niedermayer & Hart after the death of his predecessor. Interspersed with this storyline is that of Hugh, a Knight Templar struggling against a newly formed evil. At first, the two storylines are seemingly unrelated, but as the novel progresses, the two become intertwined until they are indistinguishable.

The cover itself is a perfect representation of the book's contents. The unassuming art of a peaceful abbey in the winter is akin to the appearance of Niedermayer & Hart. Upon first glance, it is merely a porcelain company with a rather impressive catalog. Even the very name is unassuming. In truth, however, it houses an extremely dark presence, just as the pages within the cover of the book often contain gruesome images of slaughter and despair.

The actual identity of the source of the deaths, gore, and horror reminds me more of a classic monster tale than a modern supernatural/horror book. Oftentimes these days, books written about the supernatural contain "monsters" that feel very human in nature and are therefore somewhat relatable. This book was not one of those. The creature in question did not exhibit a shred of humanity and contained only darkness within. It is this darkness that seemed to seep out of the very pages of the book, slowly weaseling its way into my mind as I read. If I use the quality of my nightmares as a rating system for horror novels, this one was definitely a 5/5.

The actual writing quality was stellar. I felt stressed, scared, helpless, and horrified along with the characters, who themselves were fleshed out quite nicely. No character seemed flat (with the exception of Markland, who was purposely written as an unlikable jerk). One of my pet peeves when reading a novel is forced, awkward dialog. The conversations between characters were natural and flowed easily, which gave additional life and realism to the novel.

Overall, I would highly recommend this book to any fan of the horror genre. Just don't read this book right before you go to sleep unless you like waking up in the middle of the night in a cold sweat with your own screams echoing in your ears.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Niedermayer & Hart.

June 21, 2013 – Shelved