Hunter's Reviews > The Subtle Knife

The Subtle Knife by Philip Pullman

Sep 19, 2007

bookshelves: fiction, fantasy
Read in September, 2007

** spoiler alert ** I read the first book in this trilogy, The Golden Compass, after seeing the trailer for the upcoming movie. I had also heard it described as a sort of Chronicles of Narnia for atheists. Upon delving into the second book I've come to realize that description is not really accurate. The series seems to be deeply concerned with spiritual matters, and the fundamental connections between theology and science. It does freely rail against organized religion, but not belief in general.

Beyond the weightier issues that this book tackles, it is just flat out good writing. All of the characters are richly developed, particularly Will Parry who is introduced in this volume. The book speeds towards a cliff hanger conclusion and I defy anyone not to be moved by the chapter "The Alamo Gulch."

I know it's passe to describe middle sections of trilogies to The Empire Strikes Back but it's a fair enough reference point. Our heroes are separated, people are dying, and things seem pretty hopeless.

This book brought to mind two pretty disparate works- Legion by William Peter Blatty and Preacher by Garth Ennis, Steve Dillon, et al. Make of that what you will.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Subtle Knife.

02/14/2016 marked as: read