A.L. Sowards's Reviews > The Two Towers

2048362
Jul 23, 2009

bookshelves: fantasy-scifi-paranormal, 2017, audio-book, read-more-than-once
Read in July, 2017

I read this series back in 2000, and I devoured each of the three books. Then came the movies, and I loved them. I listened to this book on a recent road trip. Do I still like it? Yes. But I was struck by how much storytelling trends change over time. If Tolkien gave the manuscript to most current editors, they would probably tell him to pick up the pacing (do Aragon, Gimli, and Legolas all have to sing a song of lament over Boromir’s body?). It takes a while for things to happen, and I’ve found that audiobooks tend to slow the pacing even more, so the story moved, but at a fairly leisurely pace. That’s not a knock at Tolkien. He’s brilliant. It’s just a different type of storytelling.

Rob Inglis has a great voice for narration. (Really, it’s a voice I could listen to all day. Wait—I did listen to it all day. Twice.) So if you like audiobooks, his unabridged version is excellent. But an abridged version might work out if you prefer a faster pace. The Peter Jackson movie doesn’t follow the book exactly, but I honestly don’t mind the changes.

What I really like about The Two Towers is the loyalty of the characters. Sam and Frodo. Merry and Pippin. Aragon, Legolas, and Gimli. Good, memorable characters in a great adventure with huge stakes. And few fantasy authors have created a world with as much depth as Middle Earth. There are good reasons this book is still so popular.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Two Towers.

07/31 marked as: read