Amanda's Reviews > Every Breath

Every Breath by Ellie Marney

Every Breath is Ellie Marney’s debut novel. Set in Melbourne, seventeen year olds Rachel and Mycroft have become good friends via school, and now Mycroft includes Rachel in his late night escapades and travels around the city. When a friend of theirs is found dead and the circumstances are suspect, they take it upon themselves to investigate.

Before you read this book, make sure to have a cup of tea with you. The characters spend a lot of time drinking tea, which I loved!

The only things I know about Sherlock Homes are from reading The Hound of the Baskervilles years ago but I don’t think you need to know anything about Sherlock Holmes to enjoy this thrilling mystery.

I adored the main characters, not just Rach and Mycroft but also Mai and Gus, their friends. Rach is a strong girl who is missing her former country life. Mycroft was involved in a car accident when he was a child, his parents died as a result, and the incident sparked his interest in crime solving and forensics. They’ve only known each other four and a half months but they are best friends and work so well as a team. The sexual tension between them was so palpable, I loved how hesitant Rach was and how much Mycroft was into her. There were quite a few scenes that had my insides fizzing - this is how you write a YA romance!

The book starts off by introducing us to Rach and Mycroft’s present lives but sometimes Rach shares a story from her past or the last four months allowing us to find out more about their lives, always adding to the story. The pace really picks up once they discover the dead body of their friend and from this moment I was hooked. I loved that they played detectives because they were actually good at what they did. I picked the culprit from the moment he appeared and felt satisfied when he admits it at the end, but this did not spoil the story for me as their journey was so enjoyable and thrilling to read.

Every Breath is a suspenseful mystery, a sweet & sexy romance, and a cleverly researched and well written story. I am so excited for the sequel, I can’t wait to visit these characters again and join them for a cuppa!

Thank you to the lovely people at Allen & Unwin for my review copy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Every Breath.

June 20, 2013 – Shelved
page 22
page 57
page 168
page 285
83.58% "I knew it! Picked him as the baddie from the beginning!"
August 25, 2013 – Finished Reading
August 28, 2013 – Shelved as: high-school
August 28, 2013 – Shelved as: swoony
August 28, 2013 – Shelved as: family
October 3, 2016 – Shelved as: animal-cruelty-and-or-death

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)

Carla ohhh this sounds amazing! x

Amanda I haven't read much but I like it so far!

Michelle So much for not reading it all in one day :p hehe

Amanda Even with my accidental nap I managed to get it done!

Michelle See, we really shouldn't worry about all the books! I'm also halfway through Richard Feynman and I made the Pillars of the Earth 'deadline' before mum ;)

How did you find it?

Lauren Ooh this looks fantastic!

Amanda Lauren wrote: "Ooh this looks fantastic!"

Lauren Mands wrote: "Lauren wrote: "Ooh this looks fantastic!"

It looks like it's getting pub'd by Tundra in Sept - hopefully they have copies at BEA for you!"

Oh! Thanks so much for that info. Tundra published Shadows and Haze too! They're getting some good YA titles.