Dina's Reviews > Match Me If You Can

Jul 23, 2009

bookshelves: contemporary-romance, to-blog
Recommended to Dina by: Tammy
Read in January, 2010

Let me start by saying this: I admit I'm a "sexist" and I read romance novels mostly for the hero. As long as the hero is worth it and the heroine isn't a pain in the a$$, I'm happy.

That said, I have to state that the best thing about Match Me If You Can was Annabelle and not Heath. She was just adorable in her quirkiness, the kind of friend I cherish in RL. She loved Heath, so I wanted her to have him. Not because he was to-die-for, but because he was "the one" for her. Seriously, I spent a large portion of the book frustrated with his "blindness" and wanting to shake some sense into him. In the end, I was thrilled to see him voicing my feelings brilliantly:

"I'm sorry it took me so long to get my head straight, but, as you've been quick to point out, I'm an idiot (...)"

Yes, you were, Heath! Obviously, that simple statement wasn't enough to win Annabelle right back. She needed deserved the whole package and not the scraps Heath was willing to give at 1st, so kudos to her for sticking to her principles until he finally proved to be worthy of her.

This was only my 2nd book by SEP, but I've been told she likes to make her heroes do some serious groveling before conquering their heroines back. Groveling scenes are complicated to me, because they usually come after some ugly and almost unforgiveable behavior by the hero, so I was happy to see that Heath's actions weren't that damaging and unforgiveable. The usually ruthless and goal-oriented man was just clueless when it came to wooing Annabelle, which only showed how much she was important to him.

I loved the cast of secondary characters - all of them, but especially little Pippy and her fascination with cell phones - as they added an interesting layer to the story and helped me understand Heath and Annabelle's personalities better. Their scenes were great at "showing, not telling" what made Heath and Annabelle tick, and there was some great writing there, IMHO.

All in all, this was a very enjoyable read, light, funny and downright hilarious at times. A straight contemporary novel with neither sudden plot twists nor emotionally-draining angst, a lovely heroine, a nice (but emotional slow) hero and a bunch of secondary characters that didn't feel like fillers. I can't say SEP has become one of my favorite authors yet, but she's on my radar and I'll definitely give her another try.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Match Me If You Can.

01/09/2010 page 1
0.26% "This is the 6th book in the series and I haven't read the previous 5, even though I own them. I'm getting better at "controling" my OCD. :)" 4 comments
01/09/2010 page 51
13.14% "Slow start... No chemistry and no witty banter between Heath and Annabelle so far. :(" 3 comments
01/10/2010 page 107
27.58% "Getting better..." 2 comments
01/11/2010 page 137
35.31% "No wonder Annabelle hasn't dated anyone after breaking up with her ex-fiancé..."
01/11/2010 page 274
70.62% "I don't get it... Are Heath and Annabelle ever going to fall in love with each other?" 5 comments
01/12/2010 page 341
87.89% "Heath has finally seen the light!" 5 comments
01/12/2010 page 416
100% "Great ending! :)"
03/17/2016 marked as: read

Tammy Looking forward to your review! Everyone either really likes this one or they hate it. I don't mind the chick-littish feel to it and got a kick out of the funny dialogue. =)

Dina Now I'm back on the fence... I love funny dialogues but I'm not a "chick lit" fan. Oh well, I'll try to read a couple of chapters at the bookstore to get a feel on this book before deciding what to do.

Tammy You can read excerpts online too at Amazon and SEP's website. This book is marketed as a romance - it is definitely a romance - but some people complain it feels like chick lit. I personally like stories about a woman's journey ...

Dina Oh yes, I keep forgetting Amazon's "Look Inside" feature. Thanks for the reminder, Tammy! :)

Tammy Ya know ... the audio version of this is awesome! *hint hint* Made me laugh out loud several times.

Dina You're killing me, Tammy! *runs away screaming*

Ally72 I hope this turns out to be a good one for you, Dina! I have a three of SEP's books, but I haven't read them yet. I will be anxious to hear what you think!
Ally

Dina Ally, I'm on Chapter 8 and the story hasn't fully grabbed me yet. But it's getting better and I still have hope. :)

Karen Nice review, Dina. :-) I've been meaning to try SEP. I may move her up on my TBR pile.

message 10: by Rane (new)

Rane Wonderful Review Dina, gald the hero finally got his head on straight :D

Groveling scenes are complicated to me, because they usually come after some ugly and almost unforgiveable behavior by the hero, so I was happy to see that Heath's actions weren't that damaging and unforgiving.

*applause you* I agree 100% with you, maybe the reason I don't care for Alpha Males, is in more often in not cases their behavior is truly unforgiveable and turns me off on the book

Tammy Great review D! You've inspired me to listen to this one again during my morning commute. I love the pint-sized phone felon and scatter-brained Annabelle is one of my favorite heroines of all time. Can't say I totally adored Heath either, but I did enjoy his interactions (and Annabelle's) with the football players. Classic stuff!

message 12: by MelissaB (new)

MelissaB Great review Dina! I will get back to this series someday.

message 13: by Beanbag (new)

Beanbag Love Great review, Dina!

Ally72 Super review Dina! I really have to move SEP closer to the top of my TBR mountain!

message 15: by Dina (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dina Thanks, ladies! :)

Fani *loves angst* Great review Dina! Please, do try Nobody's Baby But Mine! It's my favorite SEP book -well, perhaps along with Kiss an Angel- and IMHO, the hero is no jerk, at least where the heroine is concerned. There are many laugh-out loud scenes in that one:)

message 17: by Deb (new) - rated it 4 stars

Deb Glad you wound up liking the book, Dina. SEP is one of my favorite authors, I have read just about everything she has written, including the entire Chicago Stars series. I love her humor, and the journey she takes her characters on. It's often a roller coaster ride, but well worth it!

Melanie♥ SEP is a big time favorite of mine, too. The audio versions of her books (read by the late Anna Fields) are wonderful. This narrator is one of the best imo.

message 19: by Dina (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dina Thanks for the thumbs-up and additional info about SEP's work, ladies! My 1st SEP was Lady Be Good and I loved it, so she's an author I'll definitely try again.

message 20: by Auntee (new) - added it

Auntee Great review, Dina. I need to try some SEP too to see what all the fuss is about!:)

Melanie♥ Auntee,
Wish I could read them again for the first time! I think you will really enjoy them =)

message 22: by Dina (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dina Thanks, Auntee! :)

Nisha I'm so glad you liked this book. It's one of my favorites. But I must admit, I kinda like the emotionally dim hero, who happens to be a nice guy underneath all that arrogance. Though, I loved the way Annabelle handled Heath and his football players.

message 24: by Dina (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dina Thanks for "resurrecting" this review, Nisha. It reminded me that I need to go back and read the SEP books I have on my TBR. :)

Ally72 Dina (and anyone else)...Did you know that Vale just started an Susan Elizabeth Phillips group on here and I am co-moderating it with her. I am not trying to "pimp" the group to you, but you might be interested in joining us...We will be lots of fun!!!

Melanie♥ Can you post a link to the group?

Ally72 Melanie...I don't know how to do a lot of things on goodreads so I am not exactly sure how to do this...If this doesn't work, let me know! Here it is: http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/3...

message 28: by Dina (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dina Thanks, Ally.

Melanie♥ Ally, that was perfect! I just joined; I am a big SEP fan. I started reading her over 10 years ago. I especially love the audio versions of her books.

Ally72 Yah...Welcome to our group, Melanie. We are still getting it going, but we are so happy to have you in it!

Nisha Dina wrote: "Thanks for "resurrecting" this review, Nisha. It reminded me that I need to go back and read the SEP books I have on my TBR. :)"

Wow, I totally didn't realize that you read this awhile ago. But, I am glad to be of service. SEP books are my favorite contemporary romances. The earlier books of this series are really awesome.