Cyndi's Reviews > The Crowning Glory of Calla Lily Ponder

Jul 23, 2009

liked it
Read in July, 2009

** spoiler alert ** Warning: Possible spoilers

After reading several heavier books this summer, I was ready for a light read, and this book fit that bill fairly well. It's a good story, but I think it could have been a better story without all the Moon Lady nonsense. Like another reviewer said, I was quickly hooked on the characters and had a good "four hankie cry" when M'Dear died, but a lot of the book felt like a first draft. There was a lot of repetition in the first two chapters that seemed unnecessary and perhaps accidental. The dialogue between characters was often weirdly stilted and unnatural. People just don't talk like that and it made me imagine the characters waving scarves in their hands dramatically as they spoke. I was shaken by a scene early in the book where a black child's desire to skate in the white rink leads to violence, but that incident stood alone. As the book spans more than 20 years, I expected the scene to have some later relevance that never showed up.

I had been waiting excitedly to read this book and while I found it mostly entertaining, it was disappointing to find so many things wrong with a book by a favorite author.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Crowning Glory of Calla Lily Ponder.

Kathy I loved your review, you hit the nail on the head. Expecially about the "Moon Lady nonsense". I don't think this was up to the standards of the Ya-Yas. I thought it was like reading Danielle Steele - who I gave up years ago because they all started to run together.

Karen Ack! Please warn about spoilers! This review shows up first on the page and I wouldn't have read it if I'd known how much it was going to reveal.

message 3: by Andrea (new)

Andrea This contains spoilers...wish you had marked it!

Cyndi Andrea wrote: "This contains spoilers...wish you had marked it!"

It does say right there in big bold letters, "Warning: Possible Spoilers." I'm not sure how much more clear I could be. :/

Stephanie SPOILER! I also waited to read this book after loving the YaYa books. I was angry & depressed reading this book & wished the back had contained a little more information. after losing a dear friend from childhood to present of breast cancer in not yet a year....... it broke my heart all over again. This is the second time that has happened to me after losing a loved one. I will review future reads more carefully & hope for spoilers.

Judy I'm at the end of the story with only a chapter or so left but can't put this book down. I agree with your review - felt the Moon Lady theme could have been left out. The Roller rink incident was to show the racial tension in that time of Calla Lily's life, but like you I would have liked some follow up about Cleveland after he was jailed and beaten. Any book can be disected but I love the character that Wells has brought to life in this story.