Eleanor's Reviews > Angus and the Cat

Angus and the Cat by Marjorie Flack

Okay, maybe I snapped: but it's hot here, I've been under a LOT OF PRESSURE lately and postmodern/postcolonial/postpostmo literature just isn't doing it for me anymore. I feel like lying under my blankie and sucking my thumb. So when I saw Angus and the Cat sitting on a shelf at the library, I had to pick it up. I remember reading this book out loud to my classmate Scott when we were in kindergarten, and our teacher thought I was a freak. Good memories. The retro illustrations by Marjorie Flack are wonderful. Angus reminds me of all the marvelous, mischievous little dogs I was honored to have as members of my family. For the people who took stars off just because Flack uses capital letters too often, I wanted to write this entire review in caps just to annoy you. Kids love this sort of thing, onomatopoeia and CAPITAL LETTERS and animals making noises---why do you think comic books are popular with the young?---even though the tone of this book is hushed in comparison to some of the stuff that passes for children's literature nowadays. Read this book aloud to your children and let them judge whether the capital letters are annoying.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Angus and the Cat.

Started Reading
June 20, 2013 – Shelved
June 20, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by E2c (new) - added it

E2c OK, you've convinced me that I have to read this! I need something that's simple and undemanding right now... and fun.

Eleanor E2c wrote: "OK, you've convinced me that I have to read this! I need something that's simple and undemanding right now... and fun."
You'll love it! EVEN WITH ALL THE CAPITAL LETTERS IN IT!

message 3: by littlemiao (new) - added it

littlemiao I know my Miaolings will enjoy it too!

Eleanor littlemiao wrote: "I know my Miaolings will enjoy it too!"
The ending is a happy one, so I think the Miaolings would like it. I think we need more happy endings these days.