Steph Sinclair's Reviews > Split Second

Split Second by Kasie West

bookshelves: young-adult, harpercollins, 2014-release, print-arc, 2013-favorite, 2013-reads, addictive-read, alternating-povs, best-characters, i-really-enjoyed-it, original-and-creative, thirteeners, cool-author
Recommended for: People who like cute things and swoony boys

At this point in my reading career, I am utterly convinced that Kasie West writes books just for me. No one can dissuade me that she goes to her desk at the end of her day and says, "Now, what amazingly cute story can I write to make Steph Sinclair explode into a confetti parade of happiness?" The thing is, after reading a grand total of three of her books in one year, she has never failed me on this front. The humor is spot on, the characters are entirely lovable, and I know without a doubt when reading one of her books my feels are in good hands.

I was surprised to find that Split Second not only is told from Addie's point of view, but her best friend Laila's as well. This worried me because I obviously was going into this book looking for three things: Addie and Trevor, Trevor and Trevor. I had imaginary conversations with West about this (as one usually does with their favorite authors).

Me: Seriously, though, Laila is cool, but TREVOR.

West: I got your feels, yo.

Me: Yes, but...

West: Don't worry. The story will be so sweet, it'll melt your teeth down to their core.

Me: In that case, please be on the lookout for my dental bill.

I was initially concerned that I wouldn't like Laila's narration passages as much as Addie's, but it turns out I was just as as interested in hers because West evenly distributed plot twists and romance to both heroines. What I didn't expect was to find Laila's character so much more complex than I originally thought from Pivot Point. We get an opportunity to really understand her family life and why she tries to control everything. She's a very relatable character, though at times frustrating, particularly when it comes to her feels for Conner. By the way, prepare to swoon, guys, because Conner and Laila's chemistry does not disappoint. I couldn't decide what I wanted more: More scenes of Conner and Laila or Addie and Trevor. I swear I ran out of SHIPPING tape with these couples.

What I really love about Kasie's books are how effortlessly her dialogue comes. And this is where I once again tell you Kasie wrote this book JUST FOR ME. This is not your everyday "Hey, I'm trying to be funny, watch me make a joke" humor. For example, my husband would never get this book because he prefers his humor more lively and story-like. Split Second has an obvious, dry humor feel to it where the characters are hilarious without attempting to make a joke.

Not only is it their dialogue, but it's their "too cool for school" mannerisms and ability to still maintain that AND make me laugh at the same time, that make this book so perfect. It's like watching The Road Runner running from Wile E. Coyote in the episode where it's possible he might actually get eaten this time. But you aren't really worried because he's The Road Runner, and then something like this happens:

wile

I'm not even sure if that makes any sense, but Kasie's books just send me to my ultimate happy place. What more can a reader ask for? Oh yeah! Swoony characters. Split Second does not disappoint in that department. I actually was a little shocked at how much I had forgotten from Pivot Point. Not the important details, but the minor ones. However, that turned out to be a moot point since Addie also doesn't remember what happened. It's a little genius when you think about it because enough of the story is recapped for you to fall in love with Trevor and Addie again, but at the same time, not too much to annoy someone who has decided to marathon the series. So when we I ran into Trevor being his oh-so-adorbs self doing things like this, swooning was not a problem. Trust me.

Of course, the critic in me can't shut up to save her life, so I do have a few things I wanted more of.

- I would have loved to see more of a resolution with Laila and her family. What happens to her brother and father?

- I'm unsure how I feel about The Compound issue. On one hand, I love how Addie is just a normal girl, solving only problems she is able to solve. She's no Mary Sue with a boat load of powers, ready to conquer any and everything. There's only one other YA novel I read this year that did that (Dualed by Elsie Chapman) and it's refreshing. But on the other hand, something's got to give. I can't believe that things will go on and The Compound will do whatever without consequences. Even though Split Second is the final book in this series, it just doesn't feel finished to me. Of course, this could be just my way of pleading to the universe for Kasie West to write another Pivot Point novel.

- (view spoiler)

Overall, Split Second is a solid follow-up to Pivot Point. It's fresh, fun and addictive. I'd recommend it in a heartbeat to anyone simply looking for a fun read. Plus, any book that gives me the following feels is okay in my book. Thanks for the cavities, Kasie!

squishy bookish feels

*ARC was provided by the publisher (thanks, Harper!) and despite me giving favorable reviews to all of Kasie West's books so far, no one has paid me for my services. Such is my life, alas.

More reviews and other fantastical things at Cuddelbuggery Book Blog.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Split Second.

June 20, 2013 – Shelved
June 20, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
July 15, 2013 – Shelved as: young-adult
July 15, 2013 – Shelved as: harpercollins
July 15, 2013 – Shelved as: 2014-release
December 13, 2013 – Started Reading
December 13, 2013 – Shelved as: print-arc
page 87
24.17% "I've been away from a Kasie West book for far too long. Her sarcasm sings to my soul."
page 132
36.67% "I SHIP IT. I SHIP IT SO HARD."
page 176
48.89% "I'm impatiently waiting for this ship to sail. Sail, ship. SAIL."
page 227
63.06% "Ugh. Laila, why must you frustrate me so?"
page 249
69.17% ""How does it feel to know that even though you have an advanced mind, the girl you love wants me?" Damn. Trevor just owned Duke. I approve."
page 281
78.06% "SO CUTE. KISS NOW. PLEASE."
page 293
81.39% ""So then I can probably do this." Ever so slowly he brought his lips to mine. Even though I saw it coming, it still took my breath away when our lips touched.\n \n CATCH ME. *SWOON*"
December 17, 2013 – Finished Reading
December 20, 2013 – Shelved as: i-really-enjoyed-it
December 20, 2013 – Shelved as: original-and-creative
December 20, 2013 – Shelved as: thirteeners
December 20, 2013 – Shelved as: cool-author

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)

Tandie Can't wait! I love Kasie West.

Cathryn I'm so relieved that you liked this. I'm looking forward to it even more now if that is possible.

Steph Sinclair I always enjoy myself when I'm reading one of Kasie's books. I just love her style.

Mimi Valentine Bahahahahaha glad to know there are hearts in my future! I CAN'T WAAAAAAAAIT <3333333

P.S. The ARC-snuggles-yay picture is adorable :)

Cathryn Love that pic of you at the end of your review. Too cute!

Melanie Laila and Connor OMG I loved them so much! I ran out of feels after Split Second-- who won't?! I feel like this could have another book, since there are some things left hanging but I'm still pretty satisfied. Great review!

message 7: by Gillian (new) - added it

Gillian Berry Trevor is adorbs. Kasie West is adorabs. That pic is adorbs. YOU ARE ADORBS.

message 8: by Blythe (last edited Dec 24, 2013 08:06AM) (new) - added it

Blythe YES to all of this. I loved Laila and Connor (view spoiler) And also, for your spoiler tag. (view spoiler)

Steph Sinclair @Mimi & Cathryn, thank you, ladies!

@Melanie, yeah! That how I feel about the ending too. She could do another book if she wanted to, but not a bad end.

@Gillian, THANK YOU.

@Blythe, (view spoiler)

Danielle (Love at First Page) Is the love triangle much of an issue in this one?

message 11: by Kala (new) - added it

Kala SOOOOO want to read this! Great review!

message 12: by Michele C. (new) - added it

Michele C. Perfect review! Made me want to read this even more! :)

Steph Sinclair danielle wrote: "Is the love triangle much of an issue in this one?"

There's not really a love triangle at all.

@Kala & Michele, Thank you! It's definitely worth the wait!

Danielle (Love at First Page) Thanks, Steph! Glad to hear it. :)

message 15: by Rogier (new) - added it

Rogier I can't wait steph. Exited

message 16: by Meg-Anne (new)

Meg-Anne "explode into a confetti parade of happiness"

love it!

Tandie Love! Great review :-)

message 18: by Maalin (new) - added it

Maalin you always make such interesting reviews :D Often it makes me determine whether to read a book or not!

Steph Sinclair Thanks, guys! I really hope you enjoy this book!

Violetinkpen Loved this book loved your review!

message 21: by Heather-Lin (new) - added it

Heather-Lin Lovely review! I just finished the first in the series and am just itching to get my eyeballs on the sequel

Lenni Jones Your review is fantastic! You really did a phenomenal job of voicing my opinions for me. XD