Kelly's Reviews > Humble Pie

Jul 23, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: 2008
Read in October, 2008

Yet another book I grabbed from the English pile at a book swap in India.

I have never seen any of his programs, but I hope that Ramsey is a little more humble on his shows than he is when writing about himself, because that was a bit insufferable. I have no idea how the title of the book could possibly apply.

That said, this was an interesting read about his impoverished childhood, abusive father, football career, and drive to succeed. I loved how clearly he worshiped his wife (that is until I returned to the States and saw every tabloid splashed with tales of him cheating with a call girl).
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Humble Pie.

09/03/2016 marked as: read

RoseAnn I think the title is intended as sarcasm. If anything, his TV persona is even more intense than the way he presents himself in the book. I would be curious to know how much of that is just a front because I find him to be the perfect "man I love to hate".

message 2: by Csh (new)

Csh i adore gordon ramsay. just a point: it is utterly possible for a man to be hopelessly in love with his wife and still get "down n dirty" with a hooker. men and women have different attitudes towards sex - for men, generally (and loosely) speaking, sex is a necessary function, right up there with eating and breathing. it's certainly not the "life-affirmation", "omg, i found my soul mate" experience that too many women feel it is.

Kelly I'd forgotten about this book until I got an alert about a recent comment. I've since become hooked on Masterchef and Hells Kitchen and understand his draw. I want to hate him, but he's just so endearing.