Lana ❇✾Dirty Girl Romance❇✾'s Reviews > Hot Pursuit

Hot Pursuit by Lynn Raye Harris

Jun 19, 2013

bookshelves: netgalley, romantic-suspence, new-to-me-author, military-hero

He was definitely not the same boy he'd been ten years ago. She'd had a crush on that boy - that popular, gorgeous, unattainable boy.
But the man before her now was terrifying in ways that boy hadn't been. And far more dangerous.

This was a a first book for me by this author, and after finishing it, I can say it will definitely not be my last. It was a great romantic suspense.

Ten years ago Evie Baker gave her heart and her virginity to Matt Girard, only to have him break her heart and trust in the cruelest way imaginable.

Now let's stop here for a second. I am SUCH a sucker for this type of scenario. Hero and heroine meet, fall in lust, hero breaks heroine's heart so the heroine now hates him...only to come face to face with the hero years later. That set up right there? Yep!

Ok, so moving on.

Evie suffered a big humiliation at the hands of Matt in high school. Matt left for the army, and Evie was left to deal with the painful repercussions of his actions. She couldn't wait to get out of the small town to pursue her dreams. Unfortunately things did't pan out as she was hoped. After opening her restaurant and being robbed blind by her partner and lover, she lost everything. Now forced to come back to her hometown, the last thing she wants is to run into Matt again.

Matt is a member of a top secret military group, HOT. When a mission goes terribly wrong, and he loses two of his team members, Matt no longer knows where his military career stands anymore. Now back home for his sister's wedding, he comes face to face with his one regret, Evie.

Matt deeply regrets the way he acted as a young and immature boy, and Evie wants nothing to do with him. Of course they can only fight the attraction between them for so long.

Evie may be angry, but she cannot deny her feelings for the sexy soldier.
And here she stood ready to lose herself in him one more time. Because there'd always been more between them that just one night. Because they went back a long ways, and she'd loved him as a friend long before she'd ever fallen for him as a man.

When Evie's little sister goes missing, and her past comes back to haunt her, Matt knows that he has to protect her.

Now while the romance between Evie and Matt was a good part of the book, the predominate part of it was the suspense. I really enjoyed that. There were no out of place sex scenes. You know the ones I'm talking about.
Oh my god! The bad guys are shooting at us!
Uh oh! You're right! But the adrenaline is making me horny! We should have sex!
Definitely, but let's at least go find an abandoned warehouse somewhere.
(yes, I've actually read that before *long suffering sigh*)

This was a perfect mix of plot, suspense, action and steam.

There were multiple POV's, like Evie's sister and each of the bad guys. I usually don't enjoy that. But I thought it was very well written, where it wasn't confusing and didn't flip flop. The POVs were mainly Matt and Evie's, with a few snippets of the others. It actually added a little something to the book that I liked.

Now as for my rating, that was a toughie. While I enjoyed this book, it just wasn't one that I loved. I am not even sure what it was...but I just had a hard time connecting to the characters. The suspense part of it was very good, and the ending caught me completely off guard (I really didn't see that twist coming). The romance was the part that I found lackluster, I suppose. I wish I can pinpoint exactly what it was, but I can't. It just wasn't one that I was incredibly invested in.

The set up for the future characters really drew me in, however. I cannot wait to get Kev's story.

So as for my rating, I'll go with something between 3.5 and 4 stars, but I still can't make up my mind, so I'll round up to 4.

If you enjoy a good military type romantic suspense, definitely give this book a try.

Really looking forward to future books in this series.

*ARC courtesy of author via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review*

For more reviews visit: Dirty Girl Romance Book Blog

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hot Pursuit.

June 19, 2013 – Started Reading
June 19, 2013 – Shelved
June 19, 2013 – Shelved as: up-next
June 19, 2013 – Shelved as: netgalley
June 19, 2013 –
0.0% "So....uhhh...yea\n I have this uncontrollable urge to lick the cover.\n Yes, it's a big part of why I'm reading this book.\n No, it doesn't make me shallow!\n "
June 21, 2013 –
40.0% "Gah!!! Matt! Really?\n "
June 22, 2013 –
78.0% "Well there's a twist I really didn't see coming..."
June 22, 2013 – Shelved as: romantic-suspence
June 22, 2013 – Shelved as: new-to-me-author
June 22, 2013 – Shelved as: military-hero
June 22, 2013 – Finished Reading

"That's All" Ash Great rev, hun!

Lana ❇✾Dirty Girl Romance❇✾ Ash ~ The Book Snob wrote: "Great rev, hun!"

Thanks, sweets! ;)

Alexis *Reality Bites* Great review, Lkay!!!

Lana ❇✾Dirty Girl Romance❇✾ Alexis *RealityBites! Let's Get Lost!* wrote: "Great review, Lkay!!!"

Thanks, Alexis!

Christine Wallflower & Dark Romance Junkie Wonderful review Lkay!!!

Lana ❇✾Dirty Girl Romance❇✾ Christine The Dark Romance Junkie wrote: "Wonderful review Lkay!!!"

SueBee★bring me an alpha!★ Awesome review Lkay!!!

Lana ❇✾Dirty Girl Romance❇✾ SueBee★bring me an alpha!★ wrote: "Awesome review Lkay!!!"

Thanks, SueBee! <3

Pavlina Read more sleep less blog❤❤  Amazing review sweetie :)) Love the casting!!Who is he???

Blacky *Romance Addict* Fab review Lkay, looks good, added :)))

Lana ❇✾Dirty Girl Romance❇✾ Pavlina wrote: "Amazing review sweetie :)) Love the casting!!Who is he???"

Thank you hon! His name is Aaron O'Connell ;)

Lana ❇✾Dirty Girl Romance❇✾ Blacky *Mistress of doom* wrote: "Fab review Lkay, looks good, added :)))"

Thanks, Blacky! Although I can't say this one was a favorite, it was a very good start to a series. I'm excited for the next book :)

Blacky *Romance Addict* Lkay ❇✾The one-click buy button addict❇✾ wrote: "Blacky *Mistress of doom* wrote: "Fab review Lkay, looks good, added :)))"

LOl yep it's usually that way, first as intro, but others are always better :DDDD

message 14: by ☆ Sammy ☆彡 (new)

☆ Sammy ☆彡 Awesome review, Lkay. Your casting for Matt is yummy :) I am thinking I might give this one a try.

message 15: by ♥ Barb ♥ (new)

♥  Barb ♥ Fabulous review, Lkay!! love your casting :D

message 16: by Pam (new) - added it

Pam Great great review Lkay :)

Lana ❇✾Dirty Girl Romance❇✾ ☆Sammy☆ALPHAholic☆彡 wrote: "Awesome review, Lkay. Your casting for Matt is yummy :) I am thinking I might give this one a try."

Thanks, Sammy! It definitely looks like the start of a great series.

Lana ❇✾Dirty Girl Romance❇✾ Barb wrote: "Fabulous review, Lkay!! love your casting :D"

Thanks, neighbor ;)
The casting is always my favorite part of writing the reviews lol

Lana ❇✾Dirty Girl Romance❇✾ Pam wrote: "Great great review Lkay :)"

Thanks so much, Pam! <3

Vikki ~ *squee* lite ~ Awesome review LKay! I totally know what you mean about the out if place sex scenes. I'm definitely going to read this one.

message 21: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Awesome review, Lkay!

Lana ❇✾Dirty Girl Romance❇✾ Vikki ~ *squee* lite ~ wrote: "Awesome review LKay! I totally know what you mean about the out if place sex scenes. I'm definitely going to read this one."

Thanks, Vikki! The out of place sex scenes are my pet peeve in rom. suspense. So it's refreshing not to read it :) This was a promising start to a series, I can't wait for the next books.

Lana ❇✾Dirty Girl Romance❇✾ Lisa wrote: "Awesome review, Lkay!"

message 24: by Sandra (new) - added it

Sandra Epic review! This sounds like something right up my sleeve. Definitely adding it on to my TBR pile :)

message 25: by Christy (new)

Christy Fantastic review, hun! xo

Lana ❇✾Dirty Girl Romance❇✾ Sandra wrote: "Epic review! This sounds like something right up my sleeve. Definitely adding it on to my TBR pile :)"

Yey! I do love me a good Romantic Suspense, and this was the beginning of what looks to be a very promising series :)

Lana ❇✾Dirty Girl Romance❇✾ Christy wrote: "Fantastic review, hun! xo"

message 28: by Annie (new) - added it

Annie "Oh my god! The bad guys are shooting at us!

Lana ❇✾Dirty Girl Romance❇✾ Annie wrote: ""Oh my god! The bad guys are shooting at us!
Uh oh! You're right! But the adrenaline is making me horny! We should have sex!" LMAO!!!"

The sad part is you have no idea the amount of times I've actually read something exactly like that LOL

message 30: by Jen (new)

Jen Lol, great review :)

Alison love your Matt :)

Lana ❇✾Dirty Girl Romance❇✾ JR Mile wrote: "Lol, great review :)"

Lana ❇✾Dirty Girl Romance❇✾ Alison wrote: "love your Matt :)"

Thanks, Alison!