Llaph 's Reviews > Taking Shots

Taking Shots by Toni Aleo

it was ok
bookshelves: i-dont-get-it, sports, contemporary

I seriously don’t get it. I don’t understand the gushing reviews…. I don’t take most 4 or 5 ratings seriously anymore. They all seem to be some sort of shill reviews to sell more books. I don’t know how many times I read a book that had mostly high reviews and it totally did not do it for me.
I actually started this series with book 2 on accident and found that out about 30% in before I switched to read this one. I was hoping that the aggravation that I got from the 2nd book was an anomaly and that this one would be different.
No … both couples were similar. The female half was … I can’t fathom the words for them beyond snobbish, stupid, and shallow. The male halves didn’t seem like real people. They were too good to be true for the most part; the crap that they put up with was totally stupid. I personally thought that they should have given up ….
Pointing out numerous times that she is a size 10 and was fat was just; I have no words besides WTF? Her idiotic behavior and stupid choices and decisions, with the added frustrating stubbornness, were just too much. It took him so long to get her to say the loveyous back, after constant coddling and bending over backwards to make her believe it. Then finally finally she gives in and realizes it and you think it will be okay. Then she decides to believe her shallow, sniping, snobby sister and mother, who she has repeatedly said make her life hell, over the man who says and proves, over and over, that he loves her.
Stuuuuuuupid
This book was rather long. Just when I thought it might wrap it up I check and there is like 40% more to go. With the whole scene at the end of the book … I got so mad at the stupidity of overly stubborn females that I skipped pages to get the pain over with. I was at 90% I was not going to give in till I finished damnit.
There were parts of the story that I did like, but the stuff that was just plain dumb over shadowed it for me, along with the length. I don’t think I will finish the series even though I was 30% into the 2nd book and book 3 looked sort of iffy with the excerpt that I read. The trope of the FMC breaking up with/natural disaster/omg emergency away from MMC and secretly having his baby and refusing to tell him about it because they know what is best for everyone is something that I am not wild about.
In regards to reality … really I find it hard to believe that a play-off game is an ideal setting for their melodrama and that they actually got away with it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Taking Shots.

June 1, 2013 – Started Reading