Manny's Reviews > The Lord of the Rings

The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien

bookshelves: not-the-whole-truth
Read 9 times. Last read June 19, 2013.

Books

Look at thisss, hobbitses! Not bought at flea market for ten francses. Catalogue says worth seven hundred dollarses. Oh yes, Not knows about bookses, gollum. But can't touch, can't read, she says too valuable. Going to eat fish instead, but nice birthday present, oh yes precious.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lord of the Rings.

Finished Reading (Paperback Edition)
Started Reading (Paperback Edition)
January 1, 1969 – Finished Reading (Paperback Edition)
November 29, 2008 – Shelved (Paperback Edition)
April 23, 2011 – Shelved as: transcendent-exp... (Paperback Edition)
June 19, 2013 – Started Reading
June 19, 2013 – Shelved
June 19, 2013 – Shelved as: not-the-whole-truth
June 19, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)

message 1: by Kalliope (new)

Kalliope Happy birthday...!!!

Manny Thank you Kalliope!

Bettie Kalliope wrote: "Happy birthday...!!!"

:O)

Manny In fact it was a few days ago... this was a late present, but all the better for it :)

message 5: by Sean (new) - added it

Sean DeLauder Wow. I can't imagine the corollary expenses of purchasing a containment unit and keeping it pumped full of inert gases. I imagine this is a view from one of the security cameras, but you've cropped out the screen number.

Manny You've got to remember that we live in Geneva. Not went to a CERN garage sale and picked up the containment unit, complete with remote control manipulators and a year's supply of nitrogen, for another 15 francs.

Michelle (Crazy Cat Lady) You're so lucky! The only thing better than collecting books is collecting valuable books ;) Love LOTR, by the way.

message 8: by Sean (new) - added it

Sean DeLauder Not went to a CERN garage sale and picked up the containment unit, complete with remote control manipulators and a year's supply of nitrogen, for another 15 francs.

Guh. Europe has the best junk.

Manny Primula (Michelle) wrote: "You're so lucky! The only thing better than collecting books is collecting valuable books ;)

I certainly do feel lucky!

Love LOTR, by the way."

I somehow guessed that from your name :) I am also a huge fan...

message 10: by Cecily (new)

Cecily What a precious present.

Happy birthday (again, I think).

Manny It may be the most valuable birthday present I've ever received! Now if only I were actually allowed to touch it...

message 12: by Moira (new)

Moira Russell WOW

and happy birthday!

Manny Thank you Moira!

message 14: by Mark (new)

Mark Dawson Wow. That is the dictionary definition of jealous.

Manny If it's any comfort, I still haven't dared open them.

message 16: by Cecily (new)

Cecily Manny wrote: "If it's any comfort, I still haven't dared open them."

That's a tricky one: as books, they should be loved, which ought to include reading them, albeit carefully. Yet I fully understand why you're reluctant to do it.

message 17: by Rhea (new) - added it

Rhea Wait.. is that the first edition?

Manny Third, I believe.

message 19: by Rhea (new) - added it

Rhea Manny wrote: "Third, I believe."

That's awesome!

Mandy We wants it! We needs it!

Manny Nice Mandy, but we can't let her have it, can we preciousss?

Koeeoaddi Wow! ..and here I was wishing for my early 70s paperbacks with the psychedelic covers.

Mandy It's mine! My own!

Manny Very sstrange, hobbitses, we seems to have found us another Sméagol. Is it our reflection, precious? Or some kind of nassty elf-magic?

Mandy It knows, precious! It knoooooows!!!

message 26: by Lynne (new)

Lynne King Wonderful Manny! So what date is your birthday? 16 June?

Manny Actually it's tomorrow!

message 28: by Cecily (new)

Cecily There are birthday celebrations all over England tomorrow, if you want to pop back.

Manny Aw, thank you Cecily! I will consider that!

message 30: by Cecily (new)

Cecily There's even a street party in my street - but we'll miss it!

message 31: by Lynne (new)

Lynne King Happy birthday Manny!

Manny Thank you Lynne!

message 33: by E (new) - rated it 3 stars

E Oh, you're from England? Cool! I'm from the U.S., and I've always wanted to visit London, thanks to Harry Potter.

Manny And Shakespeare too, I hope?

message 35: by Sly (new)

Sly  Vixen Hahaha it is so funny, Loved it.

Manny Is it a nasssty elf, precious? It looks like an elf, oh yes precious, but it doesssn't sound like one.

message 37: by Sly (new)

Sly  Vixen Manny wrote: "Is it a nasssty elf, precious? It looks like an elf, oh yes precious, but it doesssn't sound like one."
Your impression of Gollum is on spot!

message 38: by Sly (new)

Sly  Vixen Happy Birthday! btw

Manny Thank you Sly! I've just been reading LoTR in German, and it's really refreshed all those memories :)