Betty Ho's Reviews > First They Killed My Father: A Daughter of Cambodia Remembers

First They Killed My Father by Loung Ung

bookshelves: history, south-east-asia, biography

Very often, when people are asked to recall genocides in 20th century, Jews Holocaust, Stalin's purge, Rwanda or the Cultural Revolution are the very first things come to mind. People rarely remember the Cambodia genocide (or they have never heard of) as it was always overshadowed by the Vietnam war with no or little media coverage. However, it doesn't mean this is any less painful. I admire Loung Ung for her dedication on telling the world what happened under the rule of Khmer Rogue.

I'm glad that I came across this book while searching for a perfect book on Cambodia history. The author takes us through this event through the eyes of a 5 years old child which make it much easier to digest comparing to any history book. Although this book doesn't elaborate the situation in terms of politics, it entices you to find out more by yourself.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read First They Killed My Father.

June 18, 2013 – Started Reading
June 18, 2013 – Shelved
June 18, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
June 20, 2013 – Finished Reading
June 24, 2013 – Shelved as: history
June 24, 2013 – Shelved as: south-east-asia
June 24, 2013 – Shelved as: biography

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Travelin (new) - added it

Travelin I chose to read the account by a former government worker whose family was dying in camps, hoping it would be more detailed and mature, but it just turned out to be grim. I still wonder if it's the same as genocide if terrible administration means that millions die of disease or starvation or just working themselves to death. Why not call it that I guess.