Jessica's Reviews > Just Food: Where Locavores Get It Wrong and How We Can Truly Eat Responsibly

Just Food by James McWilliams

Jul 21, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: first-reads
Read in August, 2009

I was intrigued by the title of this book, and was happy to discover that I won it via a Goodreads giveaway! Thanks!
I've always wondered if eating "local" was as fabulous as people say. Living in Washington state, we have many "green" people touting the joys of responsible eating. People are huge on eating local. I appreciated the fact that now, after reading this book, I don't feel so guilty and irresponsible for buying food that has been shipped in from far away places. Yes, I'll buy that apple that was grown in New Zealand, thank you! Although my conscience is clear, I still will support the local farmers whenever it is fiscally feasible (i.e. cheaper).
Although the writing in the book is quite stiff, it gets the author's message across adequately. If you can drudge through the writing, I believe that your mind can be swayed to at least rethink the concept of eating exclusively local. I believe it is important to get an opposing point of view on a topic that is widely accepted as gospel truth.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Just Food.

message 1: by Stacy (new)

Stacy Jessica, I'm interested in the concept of eating locally not being as great as everyone says. Can you put it in a nutshell for me?