Dem's Reviews > Catherine the Great: Portrait of a Woman

Catherine the Great by Robert K. Massie

bookshelves: russian-history

Catherine the Great: Portrait of a Woman by Robert K Massie is the extraordinary story of an obscure young German princess who travelled to Russia at the tender age of fourteen and rose to become one of
the most powerful, and captivating women in history.

I had previously read Massie's Nicholas and Alexandra which was wonderful and I was really interested in reading about Catherine the Great.

Massie did extensive research on this book. It is Catherine’s detailed and excellent memoirs and letters from which Massie quotes liberally which make it possible for him to write such a wonderful detailed portrait of this Woman and her time in history. Mr. Massie writes elegantly and knows how to get the readers attention and I found myself totally invested in this story and its characters.

I loved reading this book and really learned so much. I spent a lot of time googing places and palaces in Russia that I was totally side-tracked for much of the novel. I did finish the book feeling some compassion for Catherine and her life at court, but I was stunned at the opulence and behaviour of those within the Russian court.

Lovers of history will not be disappointed with this extensively researched and easy to read story that flows from beginning to end.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Catherine the Great.

June 18, 2013 – Started Reading
page 240
June 28, 2013 –
page 500
June 30, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)

message 1: by Alena (new) - added it

Alena This has been sitting on my bookshelf for over a year. I've got to move it to the top.

Faith Justice I really enjoyed this one as well!

message 3: by Noeleen (new)

Noeleen Thanks Dem, I really want to read this book this year, I have had it on my kindle forever

message 4: by Frances (new) - added it

Frances Loved your review Dem! Have to add to my shelf.

message 5: by Dem (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dem Thanks Frances.

message 6: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Massie is one of the best!!

message 7: by Dem (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dem He sure is Nancy. I love his books.