Laura's Reviews > Charlotte Sometimes

Charlotte Sometimes by Penelope Farmer

1951663
Jul 21, 2009

bookshelves: fantasy, historical-fiction, ya-or-childrens-book, time-travel
Read in August, 2009

On her first day at boarding school Charlotte Makepeace is shown to the room she will be sharing with four other girls. The room has five black iron bedsteads, all identical except for the one Charlotte chooses, which isn't on casters like the others, but has "little wheels with ornamented spokes".

After an ordinary, if stressful, first day Charlotte falls asleep in her iron bedstead, but awakens in what seems to be a different world. Somehow in the night she has changed places with Clare Moby, a student at the same school forty years before. Sleeping in the iron bed has somehow sent her back in time. For a few weeks Charlotte and Clare trade places on a nightly basis, leaving notes for each other as they alternate spending their days in 1918 and 1958. Then a mistake in timing leaves Charlotte seemingly trapped in 1918. Will she have to live the rest of her life there? Is that, in fact, something that she's already done?

This may be a book written for children, but it is not a "childish" book. I wish I had found this book when I was a kid because I'm quite certain it would have turned into one of my favorites.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Charlotte Sometimes.