Mandy Moody's Reviews > Time and Chance

Time and Chance by Sharon Kay Penman

Jul 21, 2009

bookshelves: english-royalty, historical-fiction
Read in August, 2009

Time and Chance was not as good as it's prequel, When Christ and His Saints Slept. It's not supposed to be as good as it's sequel, Devils Brood (which I haven't read yet.) It definitely wasn't as good as the Here Be Dragons Trilogy.
But it's still a Penman. And it was still really good.
The story of Henry and Eleanor is one that's been told by half a dozen authors, but SKP manages to put her own stamp on it and make it even more intriguing. Her historical characters are accurate in their despcriptions and actions, and then she rounds them out into whole people by giving them personalities and emotions. However, it's her fictional characters (like Ranulf) that really make her books special, in my opinion.
I wish I'd read this before reading any of the other Henry II/Eleanor books I've read. I felt like the Thomas Becket parts were slow. I think that's probably because I already knew the outcome, though SKP does go into more detail about the events leading up to his assassination than anyone else did.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Time and Chance.

07/29/2009 page 172
08/04/2009 page 200
39.06% "Having a hard time getting into this. Maybe because I already know so much about Eleanor?" 1 comment
08/06/2009 page 310
60.55% "Enjoying this a lot more now - putting some time in helped! The focus on Wales helped, too, that's the part that's really interesting to me."