Hayley's Reviews > The Lost Kingdom

The Lost Kingdom by Matthew J. Kirby

bookshelves: action, adventure, fantasy, elementary, folklore, historical, middleschool, realistic, survival, tragedy, war

Matthew J. Kirby adds another winner to his oeuvre! This old fashioned adventure yarn reminds me (in style and feel but not in language or pace) of Treasure Island/Kidnapped and also H Rider Haggard's King Solomon's Mines. The mix of fact, myth, fiction and fantasy is superb (and the author is scrupulous about separating out which is which in a end note), the characters are well-developed. The themes of 'walking your own path' and appreciating similarities and differences are seamlessly integrated and beautifully illuminated. The final battle against the French is terrifically exciting and I love the use of steampunk technology to wage it. My only quibble is that the main female character, Jane, is a bit girly but I suppose that's probably period appropriate. Will kids like it? Icefall is a hard sell but is appreciated by those who do read it - I think this might be an easier one to get kids to read and the adventure will keep them gripped.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lost Kingdom.

Started Reading