Chris's Reviews > The World Is Flat: A Brief History of the Twenty-First Century

The World Is Flat by Thomas L. Friedman

Sep 19, 2007

A strong argument in favor of globalization. As Friedman points out in a later chapter, the question is not whether or not we should globalize, it is how we should globalize. The "flattening of the world" that he mentions again and again refers to the recent ease of which people, companies, and nations can collaborate with those on the other side of the planet. Friedman believes this change has had and will continue to have a huge impact on the world, akin to the industrial revolution. Yes, many people will get hurt. Some jobs will become obsolete and others will get shipped off to places where they can get done cheaper and faster. But there will be new jobs as well, he argues, for those who can quickly adapt to this new "flat world."

The book is very long. My only complaints are that he overuses the "world is flat" metaphor (like he was trying to force it those words into mainstream language) and that sometimes he uses too many similar anecdotes to get his point across. Overall it was a great, thought-provoking read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The World Is Flat.

Started Reading