La La's Reviews > The Queen of the Tearling

The Queen of the Tearling by Erika Johansen

Jun 17, 2013

bookshelves: review-arcs-edelweiss, on-my-kindle, on-my-bookshelf, adult-fic

I would give this novel 5 and 1/2 stars if I could. What is solidifying about this review is I came into reading this book wanting to hate it because of all of the "funny business" surrounding it's pre-publication. I was pretty smug during the beastly long first chapter because although it was marginally good, the writing was nowhere near worthy of a seven figure advance and instant movie deal (with Emma Watson seemingly in the pocket). I even made a slight nod to "I told you so" in a blog post. However, shortly after the first chapter ends the story weaves around you and doesn't want to let go. This is when you start realizing the need for the lenghtly, almost overly information laden, first chapter. This was one of those stories that totally melted away my surroundings and made me lose track of time with pages you are compelled to keep reading with sleepy, heavy-lidded eyes until you nod off in the middle of a sentence. I don't understand the one and two star ratings I have seen and suspect with this type of book it is the usual suspects who either weren't savvy enough to "get it", or automatically hate stories without large portions of slurping, grunting, and groping. All I have to say to them is stick to your drugstore paperback romances that you award five stars for being easy, mindless reads (I have seen those words in too many five star ratings). In fact, I barely understand someone rating this three stars. I was approved for an eARC on Edelweiss in return for an honest review. ALSO, WARNING!!!! This is NOT YA!! I would not recommend this book for anyone under 16 years of age and better yet under 18.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Queen of the Tearling.

June 17, 2013 – Shelved
June 17, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
June 5, 2014 – Started Reading
June 5, 2014 – Shelved as: review-arcs-edelweiss
June 8, 2014 –
10.0% "Holy granola bars!!! The chapters in this book are looooooooooong. I like to stop reading at the end of chapters, but not with this book."
June 13, 2014 –
34.0% "I didn't want to like this book for many reasons, but after liking the beginning of the book, I am now LOVING IT from about the 20% mark."
June 25, 2014 –
June 25, 2014 –
53.0% "I didn't want to like this book for many reasons, but after liking the beginning of the book, I am now LOVING IT from about the 20% mark."
June 28, 2014 –
67.0% "Book love."
July 5, 2014 – Shelved as: on-my-kindle
July 5, 2014 – Finished Reading
July 17, 2014 – Shelved as: on-my-bookshelf
March 9, 2017 – Shelved as: adult-fic

La La Seven figures to an unproven author????? A movie deal before the book is even published with a superstar already cast in the lead????? I think something is rotten in Denmark...

La La I am eating crow. This book started out good and now it is marvelous. However, I really don't think anyone should be promoting this as straight YA though. The subject matter is too mature for anyone under 16. That cuts out more than half of the age bracket.(less)