kris's Reviews > Last Night's Scandal

Last Night's Scandal by Loretta Chase

liked it

In this book we have Lisle (seriously who is Peregrine Dalmay???) and Olivia Wingate-Carsington, the hellions who stole hearts, back with puberty-enhanced genitalia to steal each other's. Hearts. And genitalia.

1. This...was not quite what I wanted. The reasons for not being together were foolish, especially in light of how easily they just...dissolved. Olivia's fear of disappearing into marriage was poorly founded in light of her familial and ancestral situations and Lisle's passion for Egypt felt incredibly under developed. All in all, I wanted more emotional depth from these two blockheads, and MILES MORE ADVENTURE.

The glimpse we got of them hoodwinking Lisle's parents was too little, too late: I WILL NEVER BE SATISFIED.

2. Apparently sex is compulsive between beautiful people? (I KNOW THIS IS AN IRRATIONAL COMPLAINT, BUT AS A MEMBER OF THE NON-BEAUTIFUL, IT REALLY BOTHERED ME!! DO BETTER!!)

3. The adventure in Scotland could have been used to startling affect to show how Olivia and Lisle could work together adventuring in their not-too-distant-future but instead it was sloppy and ill-handled. Give me those moments of quiet when they work around one another without thinking; the calculating impatience that gives Olivia a sideways advantage; the plodding patience that gives Lisle the marathon advantage. Show me how they compliment one another and balance one another instead of telling me.

4. LISLE TOTES CAN REDRESS YOU BECAUSE YOUR DAMNED GARMENTS ARE A PUZZLE!! I found this endearing and distressingly attractive?? Confusing??

5. I don't know. It just felt a little too scattered and unfocused for me to engage with it the way I usually would for Chase.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Last Night's Scandal.

June 16, 2013 – Shelved
June 16, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
Started Reading
March 28, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

message 1: by Julia (new)

Julia Your reviews of historical romance are so often exactly what I think. I am especially with you on Point 2.

Desi I completely agree with your review. You articulate so well why I couldn't get into their story. So many hints of greatness yet it was all scattered motivation wise and the always seemed to be throwing arms around each other rather than driving some semblance of a plot forward. Near the middle I was really wishing some of those sex scenes would just fade to black and get back to some kind of development in the actual story.

kris @Julie: thank you!

@Desi: So true! It's a sad day when the sizzle just isn't working!