Xochiquetzalli's Reviews > Mortal

Mortal by Ted Dekker

it was ok

I saw this book passing by a bookstore; the blurb seemed interesting so thought I'd give it a try. I didn't know it was the second in a trilogy so I proceeded to (getting and) reading the first book. I liked it, didn't love it, but it had potential.

I had one rather large doubt, though, and that was why did the child (Jonathan) have prophetic visions? Genetically speaking, nothing justifies that the child be psychic... I thought I'd get answers in the second book. So I jumped into it and all I can say is that I guess this is what happens when an author (or authors, in this case) isn't really sure where their story is headed, or more precisely, where it's coming from. If you're going to base your story on science, then base it on science, not on Divine Providence. Likewise, if you want to involve "Destiny", deities and the like, there's no need to set up a scientific background.

I can't honestly say it was a bad book, but I can't really say it was that good either. Maybe it's just me, but the whole genetic stripping of emotion and 500-year-in-the-making natural reversal (cure), puts me into a different mind-set, than I would have for a (solely) fantasy novel. With this sort of backstory, I truly expected a better explanation than what is offered, if -in fact- any explanation is offered. Maybe that's why I couldn't enjoy it as much as other people. I found myself rolling my eyes each time we went a little deeper into the whole "prophetised liberator" role. Again, not because it's not a valid story, but because I was (stuck) on the wrong mind-set, and I failed to adapt (for which I accept full blame).

I will read the third book (when I can find it), but fully aware that there's as much scientific reasoning here as there is with Spiderman being bit by a radioactive spider (Stan Lee admits he knew nothing of radioactivity, just thought it sounded cool). As long as I know this is a religious-based fantasy novel, I have no problem, I actually want to know how it all turns out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mortal.

June 15, 2013 – Started Reading