Fabian Linzberger's Reviews > Programming Elixir: Functional |> Concurrent |> Pragmatic |> Fun

Programming Elixir by Dave Thomas

very nice introduction to the language. while it targets programmers who do not know erlang already, and I already do, I still enjoyed the macro and protocol chapters a lot. also covers some basic functional programming well with practical examples.

recommended for anyone looking to learn Elixir!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Programming Elixir.

June 15, 2013 – Shelved
June 15, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
Started Reading
June 25, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by Uwe (new) - added it

Uwe Dauernheim Did you compare (can you compare) with the "Introducing Elixir" by O'Reilly? Looks like in the "Programming Elixir" a whole part is dedicated to meta programming while in the other just a chapter...

Fabian Linzberger Uwe wrote: "Did you compare (can you compare) with the "Introducing Elixir" by O'Reilly? Looks like in the "Programming Elixir" a whole part is dedicated to meta programming while in the other just a chapter..."

"introducing elixir" says in the introduction:

"If you’re already familiar with functional languages, you may find the pacing of this “Gentle Introduction” hopelessly slow."

so then I read the other book first ;)

message 3: by Uwe (new) - added it

Uwe Dauernheim Fabian wrote: "Uwe wrote: "Did you compare (can you compare) with the "Introducing Elixir" by O'Reilly? Looks like in the "Programming Elixir" a whole part is dedicated to meta programming while in the other just..."

I bought the introduction book In hope I can exchange and because I had a 50% offer, making the prerelease pretty cheap? But it wasn't that good. Especially the meta programming part currently is very short.
If you wanna have a read let me know.

message 4: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Albrecht Hmm... I might have to read one or both of these sometime.