Angela's Reviews > Cape Storm

Cape Storm by Rachel Caine

liked it
bookshelves: urban-fantasy

The second to last Weather Warden novel was one that it took me a bit to get to, on a couple of grounds. One, that one of the plot threads in it sounded like something we'd already seen happen earlier in the series. And two, that I'd started reaching a point of apocalypse fatigue with these books--we'd already had so many instances of the Wardens and the Djinn facing the Imminent! Destruction! Of! The! World! that reading another round of it just seemed like, well, work.

This is not to say that Caine's writing has suffered, since as always, her pacing is crisp and tight. And once I got into this story, I did actually find it quite readable. But that said, the issue of this story covering several themes that have already appeared earlier in the series did remain--the antagonism between the Wardens and the Djinn, the rage of Mother Earth against humanity, the angst surrounding Jo marrying David, the angst surrounding the unresolved feelings Lewis has for Jo. And to top it off, we also have angst about Oh No! Jo has a Demon Mark and it might turn her EVIL!

All of these things were certainly engagingly and compellingly handled, but the sheer fact that we've seen them before takes a bit of the urgency away. Which is a shame, because if you've stuck with the series this far, it is still definitely worth continuing so you make it to the final book and get that resolution. But it would have been cooler to not retread ground we've been over before. Three stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cape Storm.

July 19, 2009 – Shelved