Em Lost In Books's Reviews > The Way of Kings

The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson

bookshelves: 2015, 5-star, massive-tomes, 2017
Read 2 times. Last read October 29, 2017 to November 10, 2017.

I simply loved every single book that I have read by Mr. Sanderson and well I have read five books by him. I was not ready to read this one because of its huge size but finally decided to read after being told by a friend that this is one of the BEST book in fantasy genre, a genre I absolutely love. So I must read this and I am very happy that I actually read this.

Being a Sanderson fan I know magic system in this book, like his every other, is going to be unique but I didn’t know that it would surpass every other magic system by him. It is so vast, a little complex but Sanderson has explained it so well. It is believed that magic is dead in the land of Roshar but as we read the book, we get to know that it is actually slowly coming back. Magic has been lost to this world for so long that people don’t know anything about it. They’d only heard myths about it and stubborn enough to decline the existence of it.

Story starts with the assassination of Alethi King Gavilar by Parshendis. And now from last five years the armies of both kingdoms are fighting in Shattered Plains, a very precarious land with deep chasms. These chasms are so very wide and deep that bridges are used to move soldiers from one plateau to another. The best bridges are carried by slaves known as bridgemen.

Story is told in three POVs with Kaladin and Dalinar being the leading ones. Kaladin is a great warrior though not much famous outside his own army. His story is told in present and flashbacks from childhood telling us how he became a soldier when he wanted to be a surgeon, and why he is a slave now. Of both story lines I loved the present day story. Childhood flashbacks were good but felt a little overwhelming to me at many points.

Dalinar is the Highprince of Alethkar and the brother of late King Gavilar. Most of the time he tries to do what he thinks is right and so he is not respected by most of the other highprinces. No doubt I loved his action sequences. He is one of the most famous warrior of Alethkar. But his fighting skills are not what captured my attention it was his vision that he sees whenever a highstorm hits the Shattered Plains. His visions are telling him about the evil that is coming back and asks him to unite all the highprinces (atleast that’s what he thinks).

Third character is Shallan. Her story is not as intriguing as of the other two. But in the later parts of the book her story took a very surprising and shocking a turn. Development of her character in those last few chapters is admirable and I wanted to know more about her.

I really enjoyed reading this huge book. I would recommend this to every fantasy lover.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Way of Kings.

June 13, 2013 – Shelved
March 9, 2015 – Shelved as: massive-tomes
October 29, 2017 – Started Reading
October 29, 2017 –
page 0
0.0% "Oathbringer is coming out in two weeks, it's high time that i start rereading this amazing series."
October 30, 2017 –
4.0% " "Men who had no honor. Were there men who had honor?
No, Kaladin thought. Honor died eight months ago.
"
November 2, 2017 –
18.0% "End of part 1 and we have a leader for Bridge Four. :)"
November 5, 2017 –
52.0% " “I want you to go back into the barrack and tell the men to come out after the storm. Tell them to look up at me tied here. Tell them I’ll open my eyes and look back at them, and they’ll know that I survived." "
November 6, 2017 –
66.0% "there are few books that one finds better on rereads and this is one of them for me..."
November 8, 2017 –
82.0% " “The purpose of a storyteller is not to tell you how to think, but to give you questions to think upon.” "
November 10, 2017 – Finished Reading
November 13, 2017 – Shelved as: 2017

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)

message 1: by Conor (new) - added it

Conor Great review. I really need to get around to Sanderson soon... :D

Em Lost In Books Thanks Conor.:)

Em*bedded-in-books* Started. Shall pester you soon with doubts. :P

message 4: by Anish (new) - added it

Anish Kohli Oh how you guys make me wanna read Sanderson! :P

Em Lost In Books start Sanderson with Mistborn. :)

message 6: by Anish (new) - added it

Anish Kohli Manju wrote: "start Sanderson with Mistborn. :)"

Oh make up your minds, you Sanderson fans! Just last week someone said I should NOT start with Mistborn but Elantris!

Em Lost In Books I can only suggest from what i have read and I haven't read Elantris yet. :P

message 8: by Anish (new) - added it

Anish Kohli Manju wrote: "I can only suggest from what i have read and I haven't read Elantris yet. :P"

That makes sense! I guess the other person hasnt read Mistborn yet! :P
Oh well, i'll start with Mistborn since I already have the books. I'll bug you and Avinash plenty when I do pick them up :P

Em Lost In Books Lolss...

starting with Mistborn would be better as Sanderson is nowhere near writing the Elantris sequel but in Mistborn's case, you can look forward to 6 books. And by the time you finish them, hopefully there will be Elantris sequel. :D

message 10: by Anish (new) - added it

Anish Kohli Manju wrote: "Lolss...

And THAT, is a great point!

message 12: by Beverly (new)

Beverly Really sounds wonderful, excellent review Manjul!

Em Lost In Books Beverly wrote: "Really sounds wonderful, excellent review Manjul!"

thank you! :)

message 14: by Anish (new) - added it

Anish Kohli Manju wrote: "ikr? ;)"

Totally! But there are more upcoming books in Mistborn too, right?

Em Lost In Books Gosh! already worried about the book 7? I would say read first 6, if not 6 then at least first 3. :D

message 16: by Anish (new) - added it

Anish Kohli Manju wrote: "Gosh! already worried about the book 7? I would say read first 6, if not 6 then at least first 3. :D"

I'm a worrier! :P
But yes, it'll take some time getting to the waiting part for the new books. :P
I am aiming for only the original trilogy for next year. :)

Em Lost In Books great. hope you'd join the army of Sanderson fans. :)

message 18: by Anish (new) - added it

Anish Kohli Manju wrote: "great. hope you'd join the army of Sanderson fans. :)"

Fingers-crossed! ^_^