Elizabeth's Reviews > The Lost Duke of Wyndham

The Lost Duke of Wyndham by Julia Quinn

did not like it
Recommended for: no-one until Quinn starts getting it right

Julia Quinn's books are fun but although they are obviously not meant to be serious, they would benefit from some research. Her books are currently littered with irritating inconsistencies, anachronisms and mistakes. Her characters are supposed to be English "people of quality" but speak unmistakably American English. The heroine will ask the hero whether his curricle is "out back". She will look "out the window", not "out OF the window". She will "fix" breakfast instead of make it - English people don't "fix" anything that isn't broken. She makes up words that simply don't exist - "sym-pitying" glances, for goodness sake. She has her supposedly upper class heroine tell her little brother to say "Pardon?" instead of "What?" - a hideously embarrassing stricture that would instantly betray the speaker's lower middle class origins and didn't originate until the mid 20th century.

All the above said, I do really enjoy these books, and I realise they are only meant to be a bit of fun, but I just wish Julia Quinn would have her proofs corrected and made consistent, because each one makes me grit my teeth, roll my eyes and sigh with annoyance - just like her characters!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lost Duke of Wyndham.

Started Reading
July 17, 2009 – Finished Reading
July 19, 2009 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Sandra R I haven't read this book yet, but I do agree with your comments about the use of the English language. Pretty much 99% of books written by American authors are like this and I assume as they are most likely edited by Americans, the American English, terms, sayings, etc are never corrected. It is extremely annoying, but I suppose it is something we have to live with, as the majority of writers of Regency romance seem to be American. (I am Australian)