Jenna's Reviews > The Greatest Game Ever Played

The Greatest Game Ever Played by Mark Frost

Jul 19, 2009

It took me a while to get through this book; part of that was due to my busy schedule, and part of that was due to the book taking a while to really get going. The game referred to in the title takes up maybe a half of this 475-page read, but that second half is, by far, the best part of the book. The book is more of a social history of the late 1800's/early 1900's with golf and the biographies of the main players of the 1913 U.S. Open as its focal points. It is an interesting read, but because there really isn't a plotline in that first half and it wasn't really what I was expecting at all, it was hard to keep momentum going on reading it. Once I hit the 1913 Open, I sped through that last half, caught up in the excitement that the game inspired then and now. Because so many players and their individual stories are featured in the book, and because the author jumped around from player to player so frequently, I found it hard to keep track of who had done what and how those actions affected the world in which they were living, actions that were very much tied to the 1913 Open. I think if I read it again, I will have an easier time keeping track of who is who, but the first time through, it's a bit muddled. Overall, I'm glad I read it and I will probably read it again.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Greatest Game Ever Played.

July 19, 2009 – Shelved