Josephine Myles's Reviews > Junk

Junk by Josephine Myles

(Review from the author)
bookshelves: 2013-reads, books-i-wrote, contemporary, gay-romance, m-m

I've wanted to write about a hoarder for a while, as I'm absolutely fascinated by documentaries about people who've filled their homes with so much stuff they can no longer get into some of the rooms. I suspect part of my obsession stems from my own issues around acquiring and letting go of possessions. I'm much better than I used to be, but there have been times in my life when I've been forced to let go of vast quantities of "useful" stuff I was hanging on to. Mainly clothing and fabric, but also lots of books and magazines.

Hoarding can be pretty revolting when unsanitary items like rotten food are involved. Jasper isn't that kind of hopeless hoarder. He just has a problem with books, magazines and newspapers.

The catalyst for getting me writing this was watching a Channel Four documentary series called The Hoarder Next Door . The very first episode featured the story of Nigel, a man who had fallen into depression after the loss of his partner, Sid, and had subsequently built up a hoard that completely obliterated the beautiful home they'd shared. Nigel's story touched me, and watching psychotherapist Stelios Kiosses help him recover and move on was deeply affecting.

Jasper isn't in exactly the same situation as Nigel, but there are parallels, and Lewis is determined to help him using all his skills as a professional therapist and clutter-clearer.

This story isn't the unadulterated smutfest you might be expecting from me, and although there are a few sex scenes, for some reason these two characters kept finding reasons not to jump into bed together. They didn't want to swear much either. I'll admit I was perplexed by this strange behaviour, but decided to trust Jasper and Lewis, and remain true to the story they wanted to live out.

I hope you enjoy the results.

Jo x

NB - The Junk Blog tour is now underway! Here's the itinerary (links to be updated as the posts go live), and there are prizes at every stop, along with a grand prize (details of that on my website here):

27th August - Release Day Interview - Sinfully Sexy Books
28th August - My Shameful Secret - Joyfully Jay
29th August - The Books I Will Keep Forever - The Novel Approach
30th August - On Losing my Series-Writing Virginity - Pants Off Reviews
3rd September - What Kind of a Hoarder are You? - Mrs. Condit and Friends Read Books
4th September - Junk or Treasure? The Things People Hoard - The Armchair Reader
5th September - Help: My Heroes are both Geeks! - Tam Reads, Writes and Rambles
6th September - Embarrassing Parents - Well Read

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Junk.

Finished Reading
June 13, 2013 – Shelved as: gay-romance
June 13, 2013 – Shelved
June 13, 2013 – Shelved as: 2013-reads
June 13, 2013 – Shelved as: books-i-wrote
June 13, 2013 – Shelved as: contemporary
June 13, 2013 – Shelved as: m-m

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)

Lillian Francis Sooo excited for the actual release. Can't wait to re-read. Had hoped it would be before my hols so I could take a copy with me.

message 2: by Josephine (new) - added it

Josephine Myles Lillian wrote: "Sooo excited for the actual release. Can't wait to re-read. Had hoped it would be before my hols so I could take a copy with me."

Doh! I have author copies now, so I can send you one. Which format would you like?

Lillian Francis Josephine wrote: "Lillian wrote: "Sooo excited for the actual release. Can't wait to re-read. Had hoped it would be before my hols so I could take a copy with me."

Doh! I have author copies now, so I can send you o..."

Ooh, MOBI please. *snoopy dance* Junk's going to Spain :)

message 4: by Josephine (new) - added it

Josephine Myles Sending it now :)

Hanne Can't wait for this one. Being a bit of a hoarder myself albeit not extreme, the subject is v. interesting. Hope you'll bring a papercopy to the UK meet. :-)

Lillian Francis Josephine wrote: "Sending it now :)"

Awesome. Got it.

Any time I can help you out again let me know.

message 7: by Josephine (new) - added it

Josephine Myles Hanne wrote: "Can't wait for this one. Being a bit of a hoarder myself albeit not extreme, the subject is v. interesting. Hope you'll bring a papercopy to the UK meet. :-)"

Hi Hanne! I wish I could bring a paper copy to the Meet, but it won't even be out in ebook until August, and the paperback won't follow for another year or so.

I should have a new anthology of some of my older m/m short stories in paperback, though :)

Jordan Lombard Hearing the story behind the story on this one is very interesting! Normally I can't watch those hoarder shows. They're too difficult to get through. But you've got me wanting to watch that one you described. And I can't wait to read Junk! Woot!

message 9: by Josephine (new) - added it

Josephine Myles Jordan wrote: "Hearing the story behind the story on this one is very interesting! Normally I can't watch those hoarder shows. They're too difficult to get through. But you've got me wanting to watch that one you..."

You might be able to watch that episode on 4OD, but I'm not sure if that's one of those websites that's restricted to UK viewers. It was the first episode in the first series. Here's the URL, anyway:

So glad to hear you're tempted! I'm hoping the idea intrigues people. It's certainly fascinating to me. I actually can't wait to get going on my promotional blog posts!

message 10: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann I can't wait to read this one! I've read a couple books where someone is left with a deceased relatives hoard to deal with, but not from the hoarder himself - sounds very interesting.

Going to have to trust you on the lack of the smut though, you know your boys best!

message 11: by Josephine (new) - added it

Josephine Myles Ann wrote: "I can't wait to read this one! I've read a couple books where someone is left with a deceased relatives hoard to deal with, but not from the hoarder himself - sounds very interesting.

Going to hav..."

Glad you think it sounds like an interesting topic. And don't worry, there is some smut. Just nowhere near as much as I usually write. I'll make up for it in the one I'm about to start writing, though. That'll be wall to wall filth--and kinky filth at that ;P

message 12: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann Very interesting! We have shows similar here in the states and there was an episode about a young man who wanted to live with his partner and such but all the stuff was holding them back. And of course, it's not the 'stuff' it's the 'stuff' it represents. It was heartbreaking!

I'm so going to hold you to the ultimate filth fest afterwards though ;)

jules0623 I'm looking forward to this. I watch Hoarders quite a bit and find that I can relate very much to the psychology of it all. I owe a breakthrough in my own situation to something I saw and heard on an ep of Hoarders, actually.

message 14: by Josephine (new) - added it

Josephine Myles jules0623 wrote: "I'm looking forward to this. I watch Hoarders quite a bit and find that I can relate very much to the psychology of it all. I owe a breakthrough in my own situation to something I saw and heard on ..."

That's great to hear! I know I've found it much easier to get rid of broken and worn out things since hearing the argument that whenever you say you're "saving" something from landfill, you're only doing so if you actually transform it into something useful. Otherwise, all you're doing is delaying it for a short while on its way to landfill, and turning your house into a rubbish dump in the meantime. Sobering thought.

Macky Look forward to reading. This sounds really interesting. I'm the complete opposite I love having a real good clear out. I hate clutter even if its hidden away! I know its there and it does my head in. :)

message 16: by Tina (last edited Jul 09, 2013 06:09AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tina Ditto Macky. :) I'm the clearing-out queen. :D

You say Hoarders in UK? In Germany they are called "Messies"

Looking forward to reading it. :)

message 17: by Kira (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kira YAY! i can't wait to re-read this.

Macky Tina wrote: "Ditto Macky. :) I'm the clearing-out queen. :D

You say Hoarders in UK? In Germany they are called "Messies"

Looking forward to reading it. :)"

* High Five! *
Although it must be awful to get to the state that these hoarders end up in, especially when its linked to depression. I have sympathy.

message 19: by Josephine (new) - added it

Josephine Myles Macky wrote: "Look forward to reading. This sounds really interesting. I'm the complete opposite I love having a real good clear out. I hate clutter even if its hidden away! I know its there and it does my head ..."

You're exactly like my mum! She's the only reason my parent's house isn't full to the brim. Dad hoards, Mum throws. They're a great team :)

message 20: by Josephine (new) - added it

Josephine Myles Tina wrote: "Ditto Macky. :) I'm the clearing-out queen. :D

You say Hoarders in UK? In Germany they are called "Messies"

Looking forward to reading it. :)"

Messies: that's perfect, if a little insensitive! But yes, you look at some of these people's homes and that's exactly what you're thinking.

message 21: by Josephine (new) - added it

Josephine Myles Kira wrote: "YAY! i can't wait to re-read this."

message 22: by Kira (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kira Josephine wrote: "Kira wrote: "YAY! i can't wait to re-read this."

Yay! I should send you a copy to say thanks for the beta. What's your favourite format?"

how cool! epub!!

message 23: by Mark (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mark Hey Jo, Getting through the book and still enjoying it immensely. Just read your notes here and found them very interesting. Unfortunately, it won't let me watch the link because I'm outside the UK - humph! :-( Would love to have seen it though.

Becky Black My dad is a terrible hoarder. If it wasn't for what is no doubt sizzling hot sex in the story I'd send him this book. ;-)

message 25: by Josephine (new) - added it

Josephine Myles Becky wrote: "My dad is a terrible hoarder. If it wasn't for what is no doubt sizzling hot sex in the story I'd send him this book. ;-)"

Hmmm, it's a shame they can't do an edited version just for that kind of reader! Actually, there are only three sex scenes in this novel so it's nowhere near as sizzling as I usually write. Or no way near as frequent, anyway. I hope it's still hot-hot-hot ;D

message 26: by Josephine (new) - added it

Josephine Myles Mark wrote: "Hey Jo, Getting through the book and still enjoying it immensely. Just read your notes here and found them very interesting. Unfortunately, it won't let me watch the link because I'm outside the UK..."

Mark, it's so frustrating. Even I can't watch it because the 4OD player on the telly is so bug infested and unreliable. I suppose I could try the computer one again, but that was giving me attitude last time I tried :(

message 27: by Lou (new)

Lou Harper Woot, finally!

message 28: by Josephine (new) - added it

Josephine Myles Lou wrote: "Woot, finally!"

Susinok I just hope I don't see too much of myself in the piles of books in Jasper's house. I haven't lost even one room yet, so I'm still ok. Right? :)

message 30: by Lou (new)

Lou Harper Josephine wrote: "I know! And I have so much to catch up, promo-wise. All I really want is a drink, though ;P "

Oh, hell, me too. We're due a few drinks.

message 31: by Josephine (new) - added it

Josephine Myles Susinok wrote: "I just hope I don't see too much of myself in the piles of books in Jasper's house. I haven't lost even one room yet, so I'm still ok. Right? :)"

If you haven't lost a room, you're fine. It's only a hoard if it's impinging on your enjoyment of your home. To me, lots of books add something to a room :)

message 32: by Josephine (new) - added it

Josephine Myles Lou wrote: "Josephine wrote: "I know! And I have so much to catch up, promo-wise. All I really want is a drink, though ;P "

Oh, hell, me too. We're due a few drinks."

GRL here I come! ;D

message 33: by Lavinia (new) - added it

Lavinia Lewis This looks great, Jo! looking forward to reading it.