Lucinda Reed's Reviews > Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil

Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil by John Berendt

Sep 18, 2007

I chose this book for the title and the fact that I love Savannah. As a former Georgia peach, I think the story works because it is told from the view of an outsider, and because the cast of characters is quite an interesting ensemble.While each new character introduced is appealing enough to catch your eye, he doesn't go into too much detail to detract from the main story or main characters.

The descriptions of the place and the people and even the food are detailed enough to give the reader a good feel of the setting and atmosphere, where things move along at a slower pace. This Yankee comes along, and yes, he experiences southern hospitality, but there is also that underlying tension of mistrust of someone from the north that he encounters.

Start to end, it is an interesting tale because it is based on a true event, the characters are unbelievable (in a good way), it takes place in Savannah, and it is the experience and interaction this Yankee has with the characters and the situation that make it a humorous account of a dramatic theme, which is murder. It is not like Ann Rule's true crime stories. It's paced well and easy to read (I read it during a long car ride).

I have not seen the movie.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil.

Started Reading
June 1, 2007 – Finished Reading
September 18, 2007 – Shelved

message 1: by Daniel (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:53PM) (new)

Daniel good!