Evan's Reviews > Written on the Body

Written on the Body by Jeanette Winterson

Sep 18, 2007

Recommended for: anyone who loves love
Read in September, 2007

I was reading thru some of the reviews for this book. I'll just say that it's beautifully written. This book moved me. I cried with about twenty pages to go. My heart expanded and ached a little bit. I felt for the narrator (who we have to guess woman or man?) and for Louise. I love the narrator. This book is about love, relationships, loss, and is a bit hope filled at the end. The opening sentence: Why is the measure of love loss? and the book takes you from there. I finished it in a day. Not a lot of pages and would have finished it in just 3-4 hours had it not been for it's language lending itself to my own experiences in relationships and thoughts about love. One third of the way in I wanted to start over so I wouldn't be so near the end. At times I had to stop reading and go out and sit in the sun, put my feet in the grass, listen to the rustle of a tree in our backyard. I saw a hummingbird. A dragonfly. The reading of this book was competing with nature all day. Only when the day settled could I concentrate enough to finish it up. All in all, my life is richer for having read this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Written on the Body.

02/15/2016 marked as: read

Raelene I love your review. One of my friends loaned this book to me years ago and I fell in love with it. I completely understand what you mean about starting the book over so you wouldn't finish it. That's my key to figuring out how much I love a book. How did you stop yourself from reading though? I couldn't hold back. Have you read any of her other books? I feel this is her "masterpiece." I keep looking for something that compares but I've come up empty handed.

Evan Raelene wrote: "I love your review. One of my friends loaned this book to me years ago and I fell in love with it. I completely understand what you mean about starting the book over so you wouldn't finish it. That..."

Thanks for your comment. I've read all of her books. Except the ones written for children. I also haven't read The Stone Gods. Her latest. But I have it from the library in my to-read pile. Written on the Body was a very emotional read for me but the one I can't get over is The Passion. I sometimes am just going about my life and think of that one. The Lighthouse is at a distant third.

message 3: by Jo (new)

Jo Love your review... Makes me want to read the book now.

Evan Thank you Jo! Hope you get to read it soon! :)