Tracy's Reviews > The Real Jane Austen: A Life in Small Things

The Real Jane Austen by Paula Byrne

207835

bookshelves: challenge-2013

The best Austen biography I've read. By anchoring each chapter on a physical object, the author has given each facet of Austen's life, and larger life in Georgian England, a realness and intimacy that is often lacking in history or biography. Rather than surmising about what Miss Austen may have thought about this or that, Paula Byrne delves into the facts of life in Georgian England, and particularly of the Austen family. Jane Austen is revealed as a very human, complex woman. Is it any wonder that her works have endured and continue to engage so many different kinds of readers?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Real Jane Austen.

June 13, 2013 – Started Reading
June 13, 2013 – Shelved
September 23, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
October 16, 2013 –
page 106
27.89% "“She was the sun of my life, the gilder of every pleasure, the soother of every sorrow, I had not a thought concealed from her, and it is as if I had lost a part of myself.” ― Cassandra Austen"
October 18, 2013 –
page 194
51.05% "Doesn't the title "The Poetical Register and Repository of Fugitive Poetry" make you want to read it?"
October 18, 2013 –
page 202
53.16% ""For Jane Austen, it was not the business of writers to tell people what to do.""
October 20, 2013 – Finished Reading