Rachel R. (My Book Empire)'s Reviews > Two Roads

Two Roads by L.M. Augustine

“We have this strange way of making each other happy by making each other miserable.”

In this story, you will meet a boy (a hot nerd at that one) with obnoxiously long eyelashes and a girl who is feisty on the outside but a softie on the inside.

When I first started reading, I’ll have to admit that I didn’t like Cali that much because I didn’t see the point as to why she was pretending to be a tough, mean girl and hanging out with the girls she didn’t even like. But as I kept reading, I realized why. This book does not only offer us a fun, and witty banter between the two main characters, but also lessons that we must remember as life goes on.

The story started with a light mood, with all the teasing and pranks that Cali and Logan played at each other. At first, I think that it was pretty obvious that they already liked each other, especially when Cali thought “My hatred for Logan is terrible and refreshing, wonderful and horrible all at once.” So, I think, after that, things got more interesting. I was especially entertained with their “the one word face-offs” because they don’t run out of ideas on how to annoy each other even more.

“Dickhead.”

“Imbecile.”

“Moron.”

“Asshat.”

“Oaf.”

There were even times wherein I thought that they would already grab each other and make up and kiss, but I am telling you, it won’t happen anytime soon and IT IS FREAKING FRUSTRATING BUT IT IS ALSO DAMN REFRESHING! :)(Kudos to Augustine for that *fistbump*) Don’t get me wrong, I love reading about some mushy moments, but this love/hate relationship between Cali and Logan just.. amuses me.

And let us start talking about Logan. My cutie, nerdy boy. (Yes, he is mine.) I think he is the only person who can put Cali in her place, because not even her own parents can do that, by the way. I think that even if Logan was pulling pranks on Cali, he still cared for her and still thought about her even if they haven’t been talking for years. What I also liked about Logan is that he isn’t your usual ‘nerd boy’, who sits alone in a corner and all that. He is a lean, young man, with a physique that can make girls fall off their feet. (That is how I imagined him to be, and honestly, I find nerds kind of sexy. Am I the only one??)

One thing that I wish could’ve been different was the way the author fixed Cali’s relationship with her parents. I felt that it was kind of rushed, but I’m still glad they were able to accept her for who she really was.

L.M. Augustine surprised me with this one. When I read the blurb, I didn’t expect Cali to be this young woman who was just trying to cope with her brother’s suicide. To add to that, she also didn’t have a harmonious relationship with her parents and this made it harder for her. I think we can all learn lessons from this because I know that it is happening out there, somewhere.

Another thing that made me go “awww” while reading Two Roads were the poems that were included in it. I especially remembered I Carry Your Heart With Me, Logan’s favorite! And who could ever forget the swoon-worthy lines that Logan wholeheartedly confessed? “My love for you can keep the stars apart, can take seeds of the tree of life, can do more wonders than I will ever know. I love you with every part of me…” *happy sigh*

Two Roads is a refreshing, cutesy and swoon worthy novel that will make readers go “ooooh” then “awww”. Be ready for the ‘Augustine Awesomeness’ with the kickass witty lines and fun, playful prank ideas! And I am sure that you will all like LOVE Logan too!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Two Roads.

June 13, 2013 – Shelved