Melissa Rochelle's Reviews > The Yonahlossee Riding Camp for Girls

The Yonahlossee Riding Camp for Girls by Anton DiSclafani

bookshelves: read-2013, historical-fiction, library, coming-of-age

When we first meet Thea Atwell, she is on her way to The Yonahlossee Riding Camp for Girls -- not for a summer break and not because she wants to go, but because she's done something that has caused a rift in her family. We slowly discover what this "bad thing" is as Thea shares her story about her year at Yonahlossee and the year leading up to her being sent away. It's a wonderful story about being a girl, consequences, and family -- and while there are lessons learned along the way, it's far from preachy.

I loved the setting. Yonahlossee was described so well and Thea's childhood home is located in a part of Florida that reminded me of home. I'll give most books a chance that take part in the non-touristy parts of Florida or before Disney World took over (this is my third Florida-read this year).

(And the name of the camp -- love it. I grew up in Suwannee County where there is a river called the Withlacoochee. Names like Yonahlossee aren't uncommon. Just brings back more memories of home.)

Wonderful debut -- can't wait to read more by Ms. DiSclafani.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Yonahlossee Riding Camp for Girls.

June 12, 2013 – Started Reading
June 12, 2013 – Shelved
June 12, 2013 –
page 5
1.28% "'The ocean was always close to you in Florida, even when you lived hours away, like we did...' Makes me miss my home state a bit."
June 13, 2013 –
page 115
29.49% "Thea did something really bad or her family really sucks. I must keep reading. I need to know."
June 15, 2013 –