Jenny (Reading Envy)'s Reviews > Mirrorshades: The Cyberpunk Anthology

Mirrorshades by Bruce Sterling

Perhaps looking back at cyberpunk from 2014, it is impossible to fully grasp what the authors at the beginning of that movement were truly about. We have Bruce Sterling's intro of this anthology to help us out, including other names for the movement at the time - Outlaw Technologists, Eighties Wave, Radical Hard SF, and others. Maybe we just needed to call it the Weird at the time, and in each decade assign different authors to that category.

When I read this anthology I struggle to place each story within the parameters of what I would call cyberpunk. Is time traveling and stealing art from Thomas Jefferson cyberpunk or just time travel and alternate reality? Is a future where humans mate with stone statues cyberpunk? Or even a near future where Russia's space program is folding? To me, none of these stories fit, and there are only twelve in the anthology to begin with. Sterling points out that it is a label none of them chose, and I think it was just an attempt to capture people who were experimenting with new ideas and directions in science fiction in the 1980s. This isn't an anthology to read if you are hoping for more stories like William Gibson's Sprawl Trilogy. It's just not what it is.

The best story to me was Solstice by James Patrick Kelly, but more for its ideas than how it was written. It combined Stonehenge with custom designer drugs, clones, and cryogenics. I also really liked Red Star, Winter Orbit co-written by Gibson-Sterling but just thought it was a solid regular old science fiction story.

To read the stories online:

The Gernsback Continuum by William Gibson

Snake-Eyes by Tom Maddox

(Rock On by Pat Cadigan only available online in German!)

Tales of Houdini by Rudy Rucker

(400 Boys by Marc Laidlaw)

(Solstice by James Patrick Kelly)

(Petra by Greg Bear)

Till Human Voices Wake Us by Lewis Shiner

(Freezone by John Shirley)

(Stone Lives by Paul di Filippo)

Red Star, Winter Orbit by Bruce Sterling and William Gibson

(Mozart in Mirrorshades by Bruce Sterling and Lewis Shiner)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mirrorshades.

July 18, 2009 – Shelved
April 15, 2012 – Shelved as: own
August 9, 2013 – Shelved as: speed-date-3
November 7, 2013 – Started Reading
November 7, 2013 – Shelved as: nanoreadmo-2013
November 7, 2013 –
page 15
6.28% "The Gernsback Continuum, William Gibson's first published story, includes his fascination with design that I really remember from Pattern Recognition."
November 7, 2013 –
page 50
20.92% "Pat Cadigan even in the 80s."
November 11, 2013 – Shelved as: on-hold
March 21, 2014 – Shelved as: read2014
March 21, 2014 – Shelved as: bedside
March 21, 2014 – Finished Reading
December 29, 2015 – Shelved as: antho

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

message 1: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome Before review.

Jenny (Reading Envy) Tamahome wrote: "Before review."
GAH

message 3: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome Hee.