Lv2readB's Reviews > My Name Is Not Isabella

My Name Is Not Isabella by Jennifer Fosberry

Jul 18, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: primary, picture-books, informational-books

Fosberry, J. (2008). My name is not Isabella. Union City, CA: Monkey Barrel Press.

Summary:
Isabella is a young girl who likes to change her name! Throughout her day, she becomes women who have changed history: from Sally Ride the first American female astronaut to Annie Oakley the fastest female “sharp-shooter”, from Rosa Parks the civil rights activist to Marie Curie the first female scientist to win a Nobel Prize, from Elizabeth Blackwell the first female doctor to her own mother. At the back of the book is an afterward with information about the famous “women who changed the world”, including dates, a summary of their life and accomplishments, and an explanation of their title (what is an activist? etc…).

Review/Awards:
School Library Journal 9/1/2008

Curriculum Connection:
* Good read aloud story for K-1 grades; a story for grades 1-2 to read independently
* As SLJ notes: “use this story to ignite young readers’ interest in women’s history”, this is a good book for older children to use for historical research, especially women’s history studies. In grade 5, students are to “use more than one type of source to gather information on a single historical topic”, and this could give them ideas for who to research and perhaps even provide some information for that research.
* 21st century standards: 2.4.1, 2.4.3, 2.4.4

Grades: K-2
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Name Is Not Isabella.

Finished Reading