Bobby's Reviews > Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet

Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford

Reading this novel was in itself a memorable experience. There are books that I must hug when I finish reading. I hugged Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet often when reading, emotion taking over throughout, needing pauses to appreciate and feel rather than continuing to read. In that way, the novel is not a page turner. The warmth and honesty is just too much. I think that after a lifetime of reading, I have found a new treasure.

Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet is a modern Romeo and Juliet, with intelligent Asian adolescents who make responsible choices. This update does not dream of the promise of "a place for us... somewhere, someplace, somehow," but indeed beautifully fulfills the promise and dream. The novel does not leave the reader anguished, instead life's wonders are illuminated. Throughout, the reader feels connections to the characters.

For those who want, The Hotel on the Bitter and Sweet is so wonderfully written that it can be a page turner and a fast read. I pray, however, that readers take the time to live in this novel, to experience it, often taking the time to feel. The experience of this read is glorious and has the capacity to change those who appreciate.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet.

July 18, 2009 – Shelved