Rachel's Reviews > Joey Pigza Loses Control

Joey Pigza Loses Control by Jack Gantos

Jul 18, 2009

bookshelves: children, fiction
Read in July, 2009

My version looks like this but was published in 2000 and only has 196 pages. This book was good and at times as funny as the first book in the series. This one is about Joey whose ADD is finally under control until he has to spend 6 weeks with his father, who is an on-again off-again alcoholic and wired crazy like Joey. I felt sorry for Joey's grandma in this story, b/c although she was crazy in the last story and did all kinds of mean things to him, in this book she is just sad and pathetic. She has emphysema, but still smokes like there's no tomorrow, with an oxygen tank strapped to her back. I did think it was a little odd that he was allowed to go bungee jumping as I figured there had to be an age limit or something. I was glad that Joey managed to escape his dad and go back home to his mom, and that his dad's girlfriend helped him out. Now I really want to read the third book in the series, "What Would Joey Do?" .

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Joey Pigza Loses Control.