Faye, la Patata's Reviews > The Wise Man's Fear

The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss

did not like it

Good lord, this was okay, but it was bad at the same time. The first book was written way, way, way better. This one was just unnecessarily long and full of filler chapters that provide no substance to the overall story. Many "arcs" were dragging, like his time with Felurian (the scene with the all-knowing tree was cool, though) and his time training the art of Ketan. It dragged so much and I skipped a lot of pointless training scenes, and I didn't even miss anything substantial. I really need an abridged version of this because it was just too much.

Also, for someone so intelligent and clever, I detested how Kvothe made a lot of stupid decisions that left me utterly flabbergasted. They were so out-of-character that I question whether or not they were just put into there to "force" the events to happen. Let me put it into layman's terms. You're in a relationship. You think that nothing is really happening, that things have been absolutely uneventful, and you want something to spice it up. SO, you convince someone to flirt with you to make your boyfriend/girlfriend feel jealous. OR, you make fake accounts on the internet and have them flirt with you online to make your loved one angry. Sure, it's wrong, but it made things happen in your life, and that's what's important. It felt like that here. Many events felt so forced, so out-of-character for Kvothe that I just couldn't understand why it was put there. Like the time he tried to get the ring back from Ambrose by getting into his room, without a good plan. He's clever? Really? I expected much more than that.

AND NOTHING REALLY HAPPENS! I FUCKING SWEAR - ALMOST A THOUSAND PAGES AND NOTHING REALLY HAPPENS! My god, thinking about it, this whole book was a filler. So he goes to university, is poor, filler, filler, he gets a term off, filler, filler, meets Denna again, filler, plays court intrigue with Alveron Maer, filler, fought with Denna, filler, went to a forest to catch bandits, filler, filler, filler, filler, had hot sex with a thousand year old fairy, 100x filler, learned the ways of the Ademre, 250x filler, came back to the university, is now rich, filler, filler, meets Denna again and they're okay now.

WHUUUUUUUUUUUT.

And what was even more annoying was how the interesting parts were left out. You see, Kvothe was arrested for calling the name of the wind in his confrontation with Ambrose. There was a trial that was so controversial that it aroused the interest of everyone! That everyone's talking about it! But do we see the trial according to Kvothe's eyes? NO! Because apparently, the narrator found it convenient to just skip it! Because it was a boring part of his life! WHAT THE FUCK. If it was so boring, why was it deemed scandalous? If it was so boring, why were people so amazed that you were able to convince you were innocent by using a few tricks? I don't get it. I really don't. Then on his way to Vintas, the ship he was on got pillaged by pirates, he drowned, he begged in the streets of Junpei, etc. etc. BUT OF COURSE IT WAS CONVENIENTLY SKIPPED, ONLY LASTED A PARAGRAPH OR TWO AND NEXT THING WE KNOW HE'S AT THE GATE OF SEVEREN.

*FACEPALM*

And now all I'm thinking is - I WASTED FOUR DAYS OF READING FOR THIS??????

So many hours I'll never have again :(

P.S. There were too much sex. Too much unnecessary sex. He had numerous sex with the sex fairy, then became the god of sex when he got outside, at the age of 16. LOLOLOL.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wise Man's Fear.

June 12, 2013 – Shelved
Started Reading
July 29, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)

message 1: by Dale (new) - added it

Dale Pearl I am bummed. I was so looking to add this to my reading list for August. I have an ebook version of this. Maybe I'll just speed read it?

Faye, la Patata :S Good luck!

message 3: by Jessie (new)

Jessie What what what?! Is the first book good though? I just bought it and I hope it wouldn't turn out to be a 2 star book...

Faye, la Patata The first book was good, the second book was an absolute filler and accomplished nothing. And oh, it's full of SEX.

message 5: by Mary (new)

Mary Really, the third book is ridiculously far away from being done, and I can already tell you to skip The Wise Man's Fear. What wasn't filler was sex and a retelling of the first book.

Faye, la Patata I know! It only gave us the assurance that at least most of the rumors of Kvothe were true, that he became just a little more perfect, that he was poor, then was rich, and he's now a god in sex... LOLOL

message 7: by Dale (new) - added it

Dale Pearl Faye is crazy awesome so I'm gonna skip this book for now. I'll put it on hold and maybe even add it to my never never stack. Not sure why some authors fill the need to use "filler" like they do, well aside from money for word count. George Martin started this more recent trend with Game of Thrones, and he is the master of filler to the point of making you fall in a love with a character and just as soon as you think you know what is going to happen he kills them off. At least Patrick Rothfuss spares us that indignant process. Rothfuss is trying to give us a superhero character but based upon the world in which he has created Kouthe is becoming unbelievable. He is poor as crap but has these amazing abilities and knows everything there is to know and he can't figure out a way to make money to buy paper? He can cause people to burst into flames by staring at them, play the guitar better than Eric Clapton, sing like an Angel, out sex a sex fairy and he can't pimp out money for paper? Yeah, I"m not buying it.

message 8: by Dale (new) - added it

Dale Pearl What frustrates me the most is that this book is rated 4.53 and clearly it is effed up!!!

Faye, la Patata Yeah, it's really sad. I'm still interested in reading the next book only because there are still SO many loose ends! Like Denna's patron, the Chandrian, why he's hiding in his inn, did he really kill a king, etc. etc... sigh :|

message 10: by Dale (new) - added it

Dale Pearl I keep hoping that they add me to be a librarian so I can update some of the author details. But you librarians should also address the prevention of rating books before they are even released. I think that has overly inflated the review on this book too. I loved the review you sent me too Faye the guy who just tore this book apart with the pictures of John Cera.

Faye, la Patata Well, we can't stop that because there are a lot of ARCs and early copies sent to give pre-publication buzz, so rating books before they are released is pretty justified imho

message 12: by Katia (new) - added it

Katia This is exactly what I think about this book, I hope the third book can fix all the mess

Faye, la Patata I hope the third book actually crams everything together :| THERE ARE STILL SO MANY MYSTERIES AND LOOSE ENDS!!!

message 14: by Will (new) - added it

Will M. I'm just raveled that you liked the first book so much. Should I skip this? I didn't like the first one that much. Great review btw :)

Faye, la Patata The first book is absolutely amazing. It's like, really really amazing. Sanderson-level amazing. I'm not sure what happened here :(

Shon M I gave it a 4 star simply because of the writing but I agree the filler was too much to bear tbh

message 17: by Choko (new) - added it

Choko Haven't read the book, but a very cool review!!!