Jennifer Stephens's Reviews > Enon

Enon by Paul Harding

did not like it
bookshelves: fiction, reviewed

Paul Harding, the Pulitzer Prize-winning author of Tinkers has written a new novel titled Enon. It hits bookstores in early September, but interested readers can pre-order the book now at Amazon.com.

While rich in its prose, Enon is one of the most depressing books I've ever read. Our protagonist, Charlie Crosby, looses his daughter in a terrible accident and it causes his entire life to unravel. For some there is a voyeuristic pleasure in observing, from a safe distance, the depravity of a lost soul and novels (like this) and movies (I point you to American Beauty) that feed this appetite satisfy. For others, watching hurt and damaged people wrestle with demons to no avail in an agonizing dance that continues long after the music stops is painful and horrifying. I am in the latter grouping and so this book is not for me. Not for me at all. In short: do you find enjoyment in reading about drug addiction, overwhelming penetrative grief, isolation, and despair? In turning page after page to find the misery and sorrow just go on and on? Then this book is for you. Otherwise, not so much.

Also, a mild criticism of the voice that is given to Charlie: he is painted as an everyday blue collar handyman by trade, presumed to be lacking a college education, and yet his inner dialogue is quite intellectual. Works as a grunt, but thinks like a scholar? This seems contradictory.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Enon.

June 11, 2013 – Started Reading
June 11, 2013 – Shelved
June 11, 2013 – Shelved as: fiction
June 13, 2013 – Finished Reading
June 27, 2013 – Shelved as: reviewed

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Jenceaser Agree. I just had to stop it was so depressing. Yes, writing is magnificent but every time I picked it back up after leaving off to have a break with another book, I found myself bored to tears with the repetitiveness of it. Perhaps this is what all consuming grief is like -- endless and circular -- but I just wanted something to happen!