Katie Harder-schauer's Reviews > The Rewriting of America's History

The Rewriting of America's History by Catherine Millard

did not like it

I started reading this book when my husband was in the military. My husband has been out of the military for over two years now. In my defense, it spent six months "missing" in a box after we moved out of military housing.

This book took me a long time to read partially because I spent a lot of time raging at the book for using faulty half-made arguments. Most of the examples the author uses to support her claims only show the information currently provided at some of our nation's historical landmarks, which does show a lack of the religious information that she believes should be provided, but it doesn't prove that anything has been changed. There is no evidence provided that shows that these landmarks have ever emphasized a Christian background.

I also raged against the idea that the most important facet of our founding fathers' lives was their religion, which the author doesn't even have entirely correct in the first place. I personally think our founding fathers did far more important things for our nation than attend church on a regular basis.

I really lost it, though, when she used the Pledge of Allegiance, which was changed in the 1950's to include the words "under God," as proof of our nation's Christian heritage. Words that were added during the Red Scare to "combat" Communism do not demonstrate our nation's Christian heritage, and if the founding fathers had wanted God mentioned in the pledge, he would have been from the start.

The real kicker though, was the complaints about renovations to The Library of Congress. She talks about how the library houses many books that clearly demonstrate our nation's Christian heritage, and that these books are priceless one of a kind treasures, and then complains about them being moved to the Rare Books Reading Room, where they are no longer available to the general public. The complaint about them not being available to the general public is somewhat valid, but if they're so priceless, shouldn't she be concerned with their preservation? I feel like she needs to decide which is more important, unfettered access to the books or their preservation for generations to come.

If you are like the author and feel that the U.S. is a Christian nation founded entirely on Christian principles, you will very likely enjoy this book. For me, it gets 1 out of 5 stars because it failed to support the arguments made in spectacular fashion.

Reviewed on Just Another Girl and Her Books blog

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Rewriting of America's History.

June 11, 2013 – Started Reading