Peter Rock's Reviews > The Pet Thief

The Pet Thief by Kassten Alonso

Hybridized human/cats with uncanny abilities--in some ways, the premise of this novel might seem familiar, but reading it is an experience of defamiliarization. And the action of the story is as much about what they do as what and who they are.

The storytelling here stays very, very close to the consciousnesses of its protagonists. Their voices are unlike any I've read. My initial confusion gave way to terror and envy and delight. It really is like learning another language. With Alonso's CORE I guess I had a way of reading the distillations and eccentricities as reflections of a world a little familiar to me; here even that handhold is gone...

And amid the technical inventiveness, here, what really sings is the sweet characterization of Oboy and Freda and their relationship. So strange and right.

Perhaps the most amazing and moving thing to me is how Oboy's voice handles action--the way the language itself both describes and conveys his inner and outer movements through space. There's nothing like that, the way we stay inside it, that strange traveling.

As my comments suggest, the first 15-20 pages demand a lot of a reader, but once you're in, you're in.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Pet Thief.

Finished Reading