Caitlin Whetten's Reviews > Wings of Nestor

Wings of Nestor by Devri Walls

bookshelves: young-adult, fantasy

The Solus series just keeps getting better and better. Wings of Nestor is my favorite installment so far.

One of the strengths of the books is the settings and Nestor is no different. Here, we're taken to imagery-rich places like Lomay's secret invisible mansion off the coast, the Tavean palace, the underground tunnel where the Wings of Nestor are, a secret hideout underneath a lake, and my favorite, Toopai, the dragon island, which is so beautifully written. This world is so creatively written and explored and I can immediately see all of them in my mind.

Characters are becoming more complex, more involved and more real in the story. The main characters are growing and changing and going through their own character arcs. Alcandar is more fully explored in this novel and given a rich backstory and a great motive for being involved. Emane is tempered out quite a bit and Kiora is becoming a stronger heroine, but without completely losing the empathy that makes her her own unique person in the series. Nestor is one of my favorites in the series because we're seeing the characters and their relationships with each other grow and change in natural ways. Things don't feel as forced anymore.

The action sequences are great, particularly anything with Jasmine involved and especially the palace fight and climax at the end. The plot is getting more complex. There are more twists and turns and it's allowing for each character to get involved and have a more personal stake in the fight other than "because evil has to be destroyed." Jasmine is a much better villain than Dralazar and is a much more formidable opponent to Kiora.

There were still a few typos and formatting errors here and there, but it's not distracting. The Solus series started off on the generic side of a young-adult fantasy, but has quickly grown into its own, with its own rich universe and mythology and a complicated and intriguing plot and backstory. I can't wait to see how the series finishes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wings of Nestor.

June 11, 2013 – Shelved