Nicole Hewitt's Reviews > The Island

The Island by Jen Minkman

Jun 11, 2013

bookshelves: fiction-addiction-read

This review and many others can be found on my blog - Feed Your Fiction Addiction

3.5/5 stars

I found that I was very intrigued by the concept of this book and that kept me enjoying the book despite the fact that it could have used a bit more development.

The negatives:

The development.
Because this was a novella, there really wasn't enough time for a lot of development of the characters. Likewise, not much time was spent on the romance in this story. It was fine and I liked Leia and Walt, but we just didn't get to really see anything develop between them, so I wasn't terribly invested in them getting together. Also, the reveal of the society's history (while very interesting) was done all at once and I wished that it had been discovered a bit more, but there just wasn't time for that.

A few editing issues.
There were a few editing issues in this book, which were probably mostly caused by the fact that the book was written in Dutch and translated into English. They weren't horrible, though.

What I Enjoyed:

Society based on fantasy.
I thought that this was a really interesting and unique concept. What if a whole society was based on the "truths" that were presented in a work of fantasy? (In this case, it was Star Wars - actually, not even really Star Wars, but a version of it - I don't want to spoil exactly what that means.) I thought it was very interesting to think about what this would mean and how people's beliefs can be formed. I was extremely intrigued by the history of Leia's island society and how it came to be and how the Fools and the Unbelievers ended up splitting apart.

Kids on their own.
I also thought the idea of kids being sent off to raise themselves at age 10 was very intriguing. What would a kid-led society look like and how would it work? I enjoyed discovering how they came up with some of their odd customs and beliefs.

The Island is an intriguing novella that really got me thinking. While it could have been longer, it was still a very enjoyable read. I rate it 3.5/5 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Island.

June 11, 2013 – Shelved
June 11, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
October 25, 2013 – Started Reading
October 25, 2013 – Finished Reading
November 4, 2013 – Shelved as: fiction-addiction-read

Sarah I'm glad you enjoyed this. I didn't really like it at all :(

Nicole Hewitt It might have helped that I actually went into it expecting not to like it (because it didn't have great reviews). So I went in with low expectations and then was pleasantly surprised. :-) I really liked the fact that the concept made me think about a society based on a fantasy book - I thought it was such an interesting idea!

Sarah It was an interesting idea, it just fell flat for me though. I think there's a sequel coming out. I think I saw it on netgalley recently ☺

Nicole Hewitt Thanks for telling me - I'll have to check out NetGalley - I have to admit that, while I liked this book, I wasn't sure if I was interested enough to pay for the sequel. :-)

message 5: by Jen (new) - added it

Jen Minkman Nicole, if you're interested in obtaining a review copy of The Waves, let me know! The book is no longer up on NetGalley, that's why I'm offering :)

Nicole Hewitt Sure, Jen! I'd love it! I'll message you privately with my email address. Thanks!