Kristin's Reviews > The Seven Stages Of Motherhood

The Seven Stages Of Motherhood by Ann Pleshette Murphy

I grabbed this book on a whim at the library, and I am very glad I did. Although I could only personally relate to stages 1-3 (I am currently in stage three of motherhood: Letting Go: The Toddler Years, One and Two), I very much enjoyed Murphy's insights into the stages that I will eventually be entering. The forecast is greatly appreciated, since, upon first learning that my husband and I had conceived, I really had no idea what I was in for.

I could definitely relate to stage 1 - Altered States: Pregnancy, Birth, and the Fourth Trimester. It was especially heartening for me to be tuned into other women's accounts of their pregnancies, deliveries, and the first three months with their babies. Personally, I did not care for being pregnant, my son's birth was much more difficult than I had anticipated, and I felt like a zombie during the my son's first three months (well, actually until six months, when he finally started sleeping through the night). Before having my son, women limited their recollections to the sweet, charming aspects of being a new mom. I did not expect the sleep deprivation, loneliness, or resentment of my husband's relative freedom that I later felt. Knowing that other women experienced the exact same feelings as me was very validating. Before reading this section, I felt like I must have done something wrong, since I wasn't in constant bliss during my son's first three months. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't trade my son for anything in the world. Bringing him into the world (and through the fourth trimester) simply wasn't the piece of cake I expected it to be.

The only complaint I have about this book is the sparse peppering of "f-bombs" throughout the text. This wouldn't have bothered me, except I actually listened to the book on CD while I was running errands with my son. All of a sudden, the narrator would say the "f" word, and, even though my son was in all likelihood completely oblivious, I would say loudly, "Duck! Duck! The lady said 'duck!'" I just don't think this language is necessary.

the Seven Stages of Motherhood is a celebration of the most difficult, thankless job in the world. Murphy's practical advice will certainly help me as I raise my son, and her words also inspired, strengthened, and heartened me as a mother. I especially loved her analogy in the conclusion about how we (parents and children) each have our own melody. Just when we know how to sing our child's song, the melody changes, and we need switch gears into learning a new song. So true!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Seven Stages Of Motherhood.

July 17, 2009 – Shelved