Helena's Reviews > Moby-Dick; or, The Whale

Moby-Dick; or, The Whale by Herman Melville

Apr 08, 2007

bookshelves: essentials, currently-reading
Recommended for: you. yes, you. do it.

my father's an english teacher whose field is 19th century american literature.
Me: Hey Dad! I'm reading Moby-Dick for a class!
Dad: Oh good. Now I'll finally be able to talk to you!

And then I read it, and realized he'd had a point.

I put it in "currently reading" because it's one of those books I will always be reading, really.
Like "Ulysses," it represents the pinnacle of achievement of what literature is capable as an form. It expands your mind, your whole self, in the reading of it. You know how supposedly we only use 10% of our brains? "Moby-Dick" makes you feel like you finally started using more than 10%.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Moby-Dick; or, The Whale.

Started Reading
December 1, 2005 – Finished Reading
April 8, 2007 – Shelved
April 8, 2007 – Shelved as: essentials

message 1: by K Shawn (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:53AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

K Shawn The quote from your dad is awesome. I really enjoy reading Moby-Dick.

message 2: by Helena (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:53AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Helena thank you! that's about how it goes with us. we're like a family sitcom written by a bunch english lit grad students.

and that is because moby dick is 15 kinds of awesome.

message 3: by Mike (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:52PM) (new)

Mike Katz I've read MD seven or eight times in the last twenty years - it gets only richer over time.

message 4: by Bill (new)

Bill I was an english major and admit that I am still reading MD. One of the greater works. But, just curious, have you tried _Ahab's Wife_?

message 5: by Bill (last edited Feb 22, 2009 08:29PM) (new)

Bill I was an english major and admit that I am still reading MD, again and again. One of the greater works. But, just curious, have you tried _Ahab's Wife_?

Brunhilde I couldn't agree more and you stated it so beautifully.
I saw Bob Dylan in concert. :)