Lynda Young's Reviews > CassaStorm

CassaStorm by Alex J. Cavanaugh

4821967

Set 20 years after the events of CassaFire, CassaStorm is aptly named with the story opening with war encroaching on Byron's peace. Byron is now commanding the Cassan base on Tgen.

Cavanaugh's space operas are first and foremost about the characters and this gives his stories realism, relatability and heart. CassaStorm is no different, despite the ambitious plot including war between ten races across the galaxy.

The book is seen through three different points of view. The first is, of course, Byron. He's still the Bryon we remember from the previous books, though slightly softened by age and experience. He's exceptionally good at what he does--a skilled pilot, a valuable asset, a loyal friend. And this three book journey with him has been truly brilliant.

The second point of view is Athee's, Bryon's mate. The relationship Byron has with her is a great one. She's a strong woman which makes them true equals and I was pleased that, unlike so many sequels, their relationship remained strong over the years. I also loved that Athee's inexperience in battle put me right in her seat on the Cosbolt, heightening the tension, making the read a fabulous experience.

While Athee takes less of a role in this book, a new character is introduced: Byron's son, the third point of view. I'm always a bit wary of new characters, but Bassan is wonderful. He isn't a carbon copy of his father. Instead he has his own mind and his own interests. I was immediately drawn into the story through his eyes with his youthful enthusiasm. Bassan makes a good foil against Byron's quiet stoicism.

Cavanaugh has created wonderfully moving moments of great poignancy--the weariness and cost of battle, the pull between duty and family, and even the intimacy that comes with the sharing minds. He portrays an amazing sensitivity and at the same time he's able to make me laugh from little captured moments that shine like gems.

CassaStorm could have been a dark story full of hardship and angst, but instead it's a cleverly balanced story about hope and triumph. The action sequences are pacey and kept my heart pumping and there's an unexpected surprise at the end. A really satisfying read and a great conclusion to the series.

(I was given an advanced reader's copy in exchange for an honest review)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read CassaStorm.

Started Reading