Helena's Reviews > Sexual Personae: Art and Decadence from Nefertiti to Emily Dickinson

Sexual Personae by Camille Paglia

Apr 08, 2007

bookshelves: essentials, books-with-which-i-am-in-a-fight
Recommended for: everyone, but especially anyone who loves a good [intellectual] fight
Read in May, 2006

I'm a slaaaaaaaaaaaaaaave for you, paglia.
when I put this in "books with which I am in a fight," I mean the very best kind of fight. I can't say I always agree with crazy, crazy genius paglia, but I'm always turned on [in all senses of the term] by what she says, one way or another. God bless anyone who can write academic theory and make it sound like rock 'n' roll. We need more writers this brave.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sexual Personae.

message 1: by Ulla (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:18AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ulla I agree she is amazingly compelling.

message 2: by Helena (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:18AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Helena right?!?

I'm so glad you agree.

message 3: by Ulla (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:18AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ulla Yes, she is the only women who I have such a visceral attraction too.

message 4: by Helena (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:18AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Helena agreed and agreed. when people tell me they dislike her writing, I tend to react by yelling "you're talking about the woman I love!" or somesuch.

message 5: by J. Kyle (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:39AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

J. Kyle Love Paglia. Also love Harold Bloom, her oft misunderstood mentor. But I have to say, Paglia's economic views in Sexual Personae are bizarre simplifications. Capitalism as male genius? I don't see it.

A friend of mine had the pleasure of interviewing her. Said she was, well, sexy and brilliant.