Andrea's Reviews > Catching Fire

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

Jul 16, 2009

bookshelves: 2009, youngadult, own, science-fiction, dystopia

***Warning: Spoilers for the Hunger Games***
Katniss and Peeta have both returned from the Hunger Games, but through a move that defied the authoritarian government in the Capitol. Since the end of the games, unrest has been growing throughout the districts, and the Capitol begins cracking down in a ways even more brutal than in the past. They are made aware that they must play a convincing enough role as the happy couple in love for the Government, as well as the district populations, or else. And what the Capitol has in store for the Victors, they could never have suspected.

The conversational first-person narration threw me off when I began reading this book, but I was quickly drawn in and read it over a day in a few sittings. Having read plenty of dystopian literature in the past, I've been surprised by just how much the injustice portrayed in these novels has affected me. The Capitol is evil. The characters continue to grow and generate sympathy throughout this novel and the fast-paced story is hard to put down. I enjoyed Catching Fire even more than I enjoyed The Hunger Games, but as in the first book, the author leaves us with a big cliffhanger and a quite a while to contemplate the fates of our favorites before the next book appears, hopefully in 2010.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Catching Fire.

Jerm and jerm is jealous

message 2: by Lisarenee (last edited Jul 20, 2009 09:37PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisarenee *** Closing my eyes and trying not to look at spoilers. ****
I am so jealous. How'd you get an early copy of Catching Fire? I so loved the Hunger Games. You're a librarian???? I have to start looking into that field a little more seriously or I've got to get to know the librarians at my branch better.
*** Needing to look away now because my resistance to peeking at spoilers is weakening.****